Advanced Search

stropping angles

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    clark williams
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

HI guys:I am new to this forum.had my we about three months.thanks to this forum and the many videos out there,i have had few problems.but I do have a question.several people have alluded to decreasing the angle by about two deg when stropping.Is this true? Thanks

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

HI guys:I am new to this forum.had my we about three months.thanks to this forum and the many videos out there,i have had few promlens.but I do have a question.several people have alluded to decreasing the angle by about two deg when stroping.Is this true? Thanks

I like the results I get from this technique though stropping at the same angle as sharpening also gives good results. The reason I lower the angle when stropping is to keep my apex at the original sharpening angle instead of having it increase slightly through stropping.

-Clay

John Haley
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 32

In my limited experience I decided early on to use slightly different adjustment settings for differing strop materials. Balsa, being fairly ridged I subtract little… usually 0.5°. Kangaroo, being an intermediately flexible material, I subtract 1°. The standard leather strop I use a -1.5°. As this is somewhat of a logical guessing game in my head, and I may eventually find that my idea is not soundly founded… but for now I’ll keep using it. Based upon loupe viewing only, it seems to work. Comments and feedback are welcome.

clark williams
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thank you very much for your replies.I will give it a shot.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Going along with what Quoddy99 said, it depends. The strops are flexible so it depends how much pressure you put on them.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Going along with what Quoddy99 said, it depends. The strops are flexible so it depends how much pressure you put on them.

+1 This^^^^

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

In my limited experience I decided early on to use slightly different adjustment settings for differing strop materials. Balsa, being fairly ridged I subtract little… usually 0.5°. Kangaroo, being an intermediately flexible material, I subtract 1°. The standard leather strop I use a -1.5°. As this is somewhat of a logical guessing game in my head, and I may eventually find that my idea is not soundly founded… but for now I’ll keep using it. Based upon loupe viewing only, it seems to work. Comments and feedback are welcome.

Sounds logical. I think that the width of the bevel should be taken into account also. Adjustement should be inversely proportional to the width of the bevel. But I don’t think that exact values matter. Now I usually use microbevel and balsa finish with 2 degrees down.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.