Advanced Search

Stropping Angle

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Stropping Angle

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

Definitely! My goal is to do a comparison chart with photos of the results of each grit like we already have but at the new, higher resolution and starting with a completely clean slate. The current chart shows the grits progressing from one to the next, getting finer as it goes, but the potential problem is that we might still be seeing scratches from a previous stone. If I start with a totally polished sample for each grit, then we’ll know for sure that we’re only seeing the scratches of that particular grit. Of course such a chart won’t teach much about the effects of the strops after the stones, so maybe I’ll create a library of different grit jumps and put it in a permanent place so it doesn’t just get buried in the forum.

It appears this project has not been completed. Was it ever started? Do you still intend to finish this?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Definitely! My goal is to do a comparison chart with photos of the results of each grit like we already have but at the new, higher resolution and starting with a completely clean slate. The current chart shows the grits progressing from one to the next, getting finer as it goes, but the potential problem is that we might still be seeing scratches from a previous stone. If I start with a totally polished sample for each grit, then we’ll know for sure that we’re only seeing the scratches of that particular grit. Of course such a chart won’t teach much about the effects of the strops after the stones, so maybe I’ll create a library of different grit jumps and put it in a permanent place so it doesn’t just get buried in the forum.

It appears this project has not been completed. Was it ever started? Do you still intend to finish this?[/quote]

We’re still working on this project. It’s taking a while to get all the samples prepared since we’re fitting it in between other projects. I think we’re about 80% of the way there on the samples and then need to create and photograph the scratch patterns.

-Clay

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

I wait with anticipation.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I wait with anticipation.

+1

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.