Advanced Search

Strokes to progress to next grit database?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Strokes to progress to next grit database?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Exactly! You visualize and feel what is happening, whereas I listen and feel what is happening. Taking a cue from your way of looking at the process, I will try adding a visual component and see how that goes. Even when I was a student I always relied on listening in class and elsewhere to learn, much as a blind person might do. My visual skills have been less than satisfactory until I really got into photography, but still, listening is my forte. I even play the clarinet by ear as my reading sucks big time. If I can hear the song in my head, I can play it…well, mostly! 😉
    Weird eh, because I have to use hearing aids (both ears) now to hear well. Even listening to my music,the hearing aids are necessary to capture the spectrum of sound my ears can still hear.
    Thanks for that Clay!

Leo

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow Clay! That’s the best description I’ve ever read of the feel and sound of sharpening!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Wow Clay! That’s the best description I’ve ever read of the feel and sound of sharpening!

I have to agree! I have never heard it put that way before? That makes so much sense put that way!!! I’m going to remember this for anyone wanting to learn to sharpen. 😉

Richard Jackson
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 19

I have been doing an entire set of Wustoff classics for my sister and I think that I am starting to feel and hear what you guys are talking about. I’m just not confident enough to drop the counting yet, haha! I’m afraid I won’t get what I want out of the edge and have to resharpen(I really really like sharpening but don’t have much luxury of time to do testing now). So I’m trying to climb up to the shoulders of you sharpening giants that have been doing this for a long time and can do it by feel and sound alone etc. I really really appreciate it again!!

Take care and God Bless!
    Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

It takes a bit of time to hone your senses, but it sounds like you are getting there. I love the old Tao saying, Slowly, slowly catches the monkey. Don’t rush and you will be successful. Keep at it mate!
    All the best Richard 🙂

Leo

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

For whatever it is worth? It took a looonngg time before I stopped counting! I just sorted noticed one day I was not counting. That said sometimes I catch myself counting for no reason at all :blink: :S and I’m not even using the WE??? :huh: :ohmy:

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I always do 73 strokes per side. Why? Because is 73 is the perfect number: 73 is the 21st prime number. It’s mirror, 37, is the 12th and it’s mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3… and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.

Clay’s explanation is straight on. The only thing I can add is when I reach that point I go 10 more strokes per side with as little pressure as possible. I am a little heavy handed. If you are light handed to start with this may not help as much.

Also keep in mind having stones that are broken changes everything. What ever your counts are on your first 10 knives or so will change once the stones are broken in.

On a more advanced level it also depends on what stones you will use. When I use the choseras I don’t care about strokes on the diamonds, because as soon as i put on the 400 chosera it is like magic. If I am stopping at 1600 diamonds or finishing with ceramics then I use more strokes to refine the edge.

If it’s a kitchen knife I do exactly like Clay said, when I feel no more change in resistance I move on. For my kitchen knives it is about speed and getting the edge back, not about removing scratches.

While I can’t quantify strokes to $$$’s I can say the more expensive the knife the more strokes I put in. 🙂

What will really blow you mind is once you sharpen a knife on the WEPS and put it back on the 2nd time is how few strokes it takes to get to get it razor sharp again. (keep track of your settings)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I always do 73 strokes per side. Why? Because is 73 is the perfect number: 73 is the 21st prime number. It’s mirror, 37, is the 12th and it’s mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3… and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.

😆 😆

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.