Advanced Search

Stone / Strop Suggestions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rick Topp
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 4

I’m not sure if this is the correct place for this question but here goes…

Having just purchased the WE, I have sharpened about 30 knives and am just loving it but have some questions surrounding stones, strops etc

Here’s what I have purchased…

Stones – 100/200, 400/600, 800/100
    Ceramic – 1200/1600
    Strop – Balsa 1mu/.5mu

I am looking to purchase the 50/80 stones for some heavy reprofiling on hunting knives (i have a sore shoulder and am hoping this will decrease my time sharpening).

I would like to add the ultra fine ceramic stones and more strops.

My question is regarding the strop…what is better? Straight leather, kangaroo, balsa etc and what would be ideal for the selection I have (I don’t understand correlation between grit and um)

Also, what is the best method for using a strop? I seem to get a little cut in mine as I use is…have watched the videos but is there something that will show precisely how to use a strop?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
    Rick

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Welcome to the forum! 🙂

There’s a Grit Comparison Chart here that might help in understanding the grit / micron relationship.

By “ultra fine” do you mean “Micro Fine”? That would be a good choice.

Based on what you have now, my suggestion for a strop would be the 5/3.5 on the regular leather. That would give you a good idea of what stropping can do, and if you want to add more to it later. I’m sure others will chime in with their ideas… some of this is more personal preference over “which is better”.

You might try slowing down with the strops, to avoid cutting them, until you get used to it. Also, you can divide the knife in sections when stropping, for example, I’ll sometimes strop the straight portion, reset the strops all the way down, then do the belly to the tip… this insures that I’m moving the strop up and away from the edge.

Rick Topp
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 4

Thanks for the help…I’ll try that 🙂

Cheers,
    Rick

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.