Advanced Search

Stone Break-In?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jonny
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 40

So finally got my WE and getting me head around my first test sharpening. I understand the diamonds/stones needing to be broken in but do most people just use dedicated “break-in knives” that don’t care about or is there a way to break the stones in another way (rubbing them together or something)?

Also, my test knife has a lot of nicks/jagged edge. Are those usually removed/flattened out in the natural stone progression/raising burr or is there a technique to remove nicks, like running a stone down the length of the blade. Can’t seem to find info on that so sorry if it’s right in front of my face.

Thanks!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

What I have read is a lot of folks go to the thrift stores and alike and buy $1.00 knifes? I ordered 10 moras from a catalog for $2.00 each and went to town on those.
    If you really don’t care about your test knife? The chips are a great way to wear in your 100/200 stones. Just start on one side and start scrubbing till that side starts to clean up and the start to clean up the other side. Once you have ground enough away to get a clean even bevel it should be very easy to raise your burr? Once your burr is done? Remove it with the same grit stone and then it is easy just to work your way up the grit sizes till it is time strop?
    I went to You tube and entered wicked edge and all sorts of videos came up. I would watch some very closely a few times actually? Before I went to work on the knife. This will help a great deal with the learning curve. Don’t worry you will get there between the videos and the forum. It is easy just take your time and make sure your having fun!! You will be turning out razors in no time at all!!!

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Welcome to the forum.

Unlike other stones, I would not recommend rubbing diamond stones together. I started with the knives I cared least about first then worked from there. It is not so much that the diamond stones “need” to be broken as in as that they won’t perform to their best until they are. I.e. you won’t get a sharp of an edge as possible for the first few knives that you will get later. There is also a bit of learning curve so while the diamond stones are getting broken it you are getting better with you technique, etc.

As far a nicks go. It just depends on how deep the nick is. Just keep grinding with the 100# diamonds until you get it out. Unless it is super deep, then you either live with it or grind off a lot of metal. Sounds like a blade with nicks in it is a good one to start with. Here I assume you have the nicks to start with before sharpening.

If you are talking about nicks after using the Wicked Edge, then: yes, you will have a “toothy” edge (especially with new stones) after the 100 and 200 grits. By 800 to 1000 it should be gone. Also lighten up your pressure. That will help. When I think it is time to go to the next grit (by “feel”) I do some more strokes 10-20 per side and try to focus using even less pressure than before.

Best advice I can give is don’t give up or get disappointed with your first knife or two. It took me to knife #5 to really feel like I was getting it super sharp (between stone break in and developing my technique). I took my first blade and sharpened again as #6. It was much better the second time around. The WE can produce amazing results, it does take a little practice.

Jonny
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 40

Thanks so much, got the idea. I like the thought of buying really cheap dollar store knives to break-in the diamonds. Although the “test knife” I spoke of is not high end, it has some sentimental value. I wouldn’t be heartbroken if I ruined it but why not get some super “cheapos” that I really don’t care about… great advice.

I feel like iv’e seen and read every basic instructional video/thread I can but never really saw a discussion on “nicks”. I’ll go over everything again but seems like the nicks will come out w/the first progression/100 grits. And yes, i’m talking about nicks from “use”, not from the stones, I should have clarified.

Thx!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.