Advanced Search

Steels that take an edge?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi all,

Which steels take, in your experience, a very good edge? In my experience it is not the most hyped steels that take a good edge. For example, I find it quite difficult to get S30V razor sharp.

My favourite steels in terms of their ability to take an edge are 12C27, VG10 and Japanese white steel. I’m really keen to hear your experiences!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Tony Pettersen
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

my favorite is easily VG-10
    bg42, s30v and one of their damaskus steels in old sebenzas took a good razor edge
    vg-10 and 3G from Fällkniven same as obove
    ats-34 from Pro-tech do i have a problem with getting scarysharp
    emmerson in 154-CM was good as a chiselgrind, not so lucky as a V-grind

i dont like 12C27 as i have sharpend to many Brusletto knives and had trouble with it

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

The two steels I’ve gotten the best edge on are CPM-M4 in a Spyderco Gayle Bradley and Aogami Super Blue in a Caly 3.5. Both of these steels take a phenomenal edge very easily. I’ve also been able to get great edges on my chef’s knives, an old Foster Bros carbon steel and a new HRC Roselli Astrid (both great knives, by the way) As mentioned, VG10 also does very well.

Ken

Mathew Whaley
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 22

The only real blade steel I have experience with is the 14C28N on my Kershaw Leek. Super tough edge, even on such a needle-pointed blade. No chips or bends even after heavy use (and abuse), and it’s not too difficult to touch up on some ultra-fine DMT and sandpaper. Easily shaving sharp, though I wont know if it can go from regular shaving sharpness to a comfortable shave of the face until my WEPS gets here. I’ll update when it does.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Thanks, guys. VG-10 seems a common favorite of all of us. What are you experiences with this steel on a slightly longer run? What I read sometimes, particularly on kitchen knife forums is that it takes a very good edge, but also looses it very quickly (and then to remain moderately sharp for a longer time). It is not my experience (mine is that it loses its edge more gradually), but what is your mileage?

Also very interested in the Fallkniven 3G. Does it take an edge like Fallkniven’s VG-10? And what were your problems with 12C27? I don’t know Brusletto, but I think to understand they employ different types of steel.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Thanks, guys. VG-10 seems a common favorite of all of us. What are you experiences with this steel on a slightly longer run? What I read sometimes, particularly on kitchen knife forums is that it takes a very good edge, but also looses it very quickly (and then to remain moderately sharp for a longer time). It is not my experience (mine is that it loses its edge more gradually), but what is your mileage?

My experience with VG10 is similar to yours. I find it gets very sharp and holds it’s edge very well. I’ve come to prefer the edges I get on my carbon steel kitchen knives more recently but for many years a VG10 Spyderco Yin&Yang were my go to kitchen knives and they were great.

Also very interested in the Fallkniven 3G. Does it take an edge like Fallkniven’s VG-10?

3G is terrific and head to head I’d rate it higher than VG10 (slightly). Not on par with CPM-M4 (or even CPM-D2 for that matter) but very good (we have an embarrassment of riches these days in the knife steel world)

And what were your problems with 12C27? I don’t know Brusletto, but I think to understand they employ different types of steel.

12C27 is yet another great steel. Depending on the heat treat I like it slightly better or worse than VG10. They are very close to each other.

I would so love to have a folder in K390. To quote Mr. Dundee “Now that’s a knife!”

Ken

Tony Pettersen
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

Also very interested in the Fallkniven 3G. Does it take an edge like Fallkniven’s VG-10? And what were your problems with 12C27? I don’t know Brusletto, but I think to understand they employ different types of steel.

3G took an very good edge
    the fist brusletto hunter i sharpened chipped alot..
    than the next one had really soft steel, then now the last one took a good edge but i dident test the edge as it wasent mine.. i get alot of these here in norway and i just dont like them..

IF they use 12C27 in all “as they state” they are really sloppy in heat treat

Michael Lingard
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 33

So far, M390 is my favorite. It takes a very good edge and holds it, and holds it, and holds it…

I can get my S30V and VG10 very sharp, but it will lose that hair popping edge quickly when cutting cardboard. However, M390 just stays sharp all day long, and then the next day etc. I would love to try some S90V or 110V.

I also just picked up a Tuff in CPM 3V. It seems very easy to put a sticky sharp edge on that stuff. I know it’s edge retention isn’t going to be anywhere near what M390 will be, and I haven’t had it long enough to get a really good feel for what it can do. I did some light chopping with it though that I would never do with my other knives due to the fear of chipping and the 3V had zero damage and was still paper slicing sharp, just not sticky sharp anymore. Very impressive stuff for hacking and chopping.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.