Advanced Search

Spyderco question

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jose Fuste
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 26

John,

No, I’m not changing the angle at all. While the knife is set in the clamp and locked, I just unlock the knife handle and lift it up until I got the necessary clearance to reach the edge tail. It is like closing your knife but this time it is already locked in the clamp ready to be sharpen.

John Batinovich
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 27

Thanks Jose, I’ll give that a shot. The Para 2 is one of my favorite knives and the S30V takes an amazing edge, it’s just that last little bit that’s bugging me. 😛

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Say hey, Jose,

I’m not quite clear about what you’re suggesting. Are you changing the angle of the entire knife in the clamp? Since the stone is hitting the forward-most part of the finger choil, it’s not clear in my mind how that would work. If you could clarify, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks!

John

You are right. I just checked a couple of my PM 2 knives. The edge of the handle hits the Ricasso, or choil… the transition from the full thickness of the blade near the pivot where it transitions to the blade grind and bevel… before the diamond plate can reach that transition… Anyway I don’t see where the handle position has anything to do with what I am seeing.
    Jose, could you post pictures? Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing.
    BTW this is the case with most of the Spyderco knives that I have sharpened.

Jose Fuste
    Participant

Phil,
    I will post some pictures as soon as I get back home. This week I’m traveling on business.

Jose Fuste
    Participant

Phil,
    I don’t have a Para 2 with me, I had one and sold it before I got the WE. Later on I had that issue with the Spyderco Ambitious and I solved it by lifting the handle as I expressed before. On the Para 2 you don’t have to lift the handle because it has enough clearance to reach the blade, but yes, the issue on how to reach that tail notch is a problem because the stones are to thin and the stone plastic edge is in the midle. Sorry about the confusion.
    But if the edge is right into the handle as the Ambitious, that is how it worked for me.:ohmy:

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Scroll to 12:20 and you will see what I did… took about 30 seconds =)

John Batinovich
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 27

Thanks for that info, razoredgeknives. I’m at work right now, but I will watch the entire video later. I like the USB microscope or Radio Shack loupe idea. I have a nice 10X loupe, but it can be cumbersome to use when the knife is mounted in the machine.

I’m interested in learning more about which tool you used and the manner in which you ground off the sides of your stones. I like the idea of doing this, but since all my gear is new, I’m reticent to go ahead and make the move. Appreciate the info.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.