Advanced Search

Spam problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

The spam problem is getting a bit out of hand. When I started this morning I deleted 5 spam messages. But since then they kept coming in and by now I have deleted at least 20 spam posts. And I cannot remain online all day.

One thing that could improve the spam deletion is that not only the messages are deleted, but also the accounts that posted them. This worked on the previous forum quite well.

And I think it is time for some better control on subscription. I don’t know exactly what the possibilities are, but the current check (a sum) appears too simple for spambots. I fully realize we need some user-friendly for new users, but a better control would improve the site considerably, I think.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

15 spams in the last 30 minutes… This is getting crazy. I’m afraid manually deleting this may become unfeasible. And I have a full-time job.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

Hi Mark – Thanks for keeping on top of this. I’m working on it now.

Thanks,
    Chris

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

As an fyi, I am making some permission changes on the backend, and sometimes that temporarily causes problems for legitimate users. I’ll apologize in advance, and will just assure you that I’ll be working on this today, so any problems should be temporary.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

As an fyi, I am making some permission changes on the backend, and sometimes that temporarily causes problems for legitimate users. I’ll apologize in advance, and will just assure you that I’ll be working on this today, so any problems should be temporary.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Good idea, Chris, If you want us to do to beta-tests, let us know.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

I’ve made some changes, and am finished working on it, for now. Unfortunately, I’ll predict that we’ll probably see some spam slip through again in the future, as I’m trying to stop short of anti-spam measures that make life painful for all users, all the time.

I’m also being a bit vague on what I’ve done, just so the spammers won’t be tipped off.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Is it possible to add the “I am not a robot” check to the sequence for opening a new account?

Mark76
    Participant

Can anyone tell me how I (as a mod) can delete accounts? Apparently clicking on Spam online hides the messages, but does not remove the accounts. I’d like to delete the accounts, too, since it is often the same accounts that post lots of other spam.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Can anyone tell me how I (as a mod) can delete accounts? Apparently clicking on Spam online hides the messages, but does not remove the accounts. I’d like to delete the accounts, too, since it is often the same accounts that post lots of other spam.

I sent you a PM.

BTW…. I deleted a bunch on Thursday…. it was pretty crazy.

Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Curtis, I’ll try that as soon as the first spammer appears again 🙂

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

FYI… I’m doing some additional changes today, to prevent spammers from registering. You may temporarily see that you have to enter a captcha with each new Topic or Reply, but this will be [probably] be temporary, for legitimate users. I say probably just because these spammers are proving tough to block.

Mark76
    Participant

Chris,

Thanks for implementing these changes. Clay made me a keymaster now, and I can also now delete/inactivate accounts of spammers.

It’s probably a startup problem, and you know more about spam control than I do, but I don’t know whether it is necessary to do the extensive spam control (as it is now) when logging in and not only when creating an account. In my case, this is quite a labor-intensive process in which I make errors (even though the process seems quite simple) and I don’t know why.

As I also wrote in other messages, the nicest would be that if I click “Spam” in a message bar, the account of the spammer is automatically deleted. But I don’t know how much effort this is to implement. I can live with the current procedure where I first have to delete the message and then the spammer.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

Mark,

Thanks for all of the help on eliminating spam. So there’s a relatively new version of google’s captcha (the anti-spam image that typically shows a word) that’s less of a pain for legitimate users. It uses some voodoo behind the scenes to determine how big of a risk a specific user is, and it adjusts the stringency of the captcha accordingly. For example, legitimate users are probably going to just have to check a box that says something like “I’m not a robot” while riskier users will have a tougher time. We have this new captcha installed now both for new user registrations, and for returning user logins. In addition, new registrations are not allowed to log in without first manually validating their email address.

These steps, in addition to some other stuff behind the scenes, should drastically reduce the spam users and posts. At least until the spammers figure out how to defeat these steps, like they inevitably seem to do.

Thanks,
    Chris

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant

Thanks Chris, I read the website and it indeed sounds good. Awesome if it works as good as Google says it does. I’m getting better at it, too. Luckily I ‘m human 🙂 .

Oh, and by the way, I finally found out how “Editthiscookie”, recommended by Clay, protects against getting logged out when cleaning my system with “CCleaner”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.