Advanced Search

Some weekend sharpening fun with my 10€ knife

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Some weekend sharpening fun with my 10€ knife

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lay
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

I did some dock fixing during the weekend and got my cheap 10€ beater knife in a quite bad condition. I re-profiled the knife from 22 degrees to 18 degrees and planning to use 20 degree micro bevel later on while doing touch ups. I might have gone a bit too far while enjoying the sharpening with this…  😀

https://i.imgur.com/tLIenqL.mp4

If somebody knows how to make the video to show straight from the post without need to click the link. Let me know.

Screenshot of the video

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

Very nice, how long did it take and what progression ?

Lay
    Participant

Very nice, how long did it take and what progression ?

Thank you. Re-profiling took the longest time with the 100 grit. The whole process maybe 1+ hours.

100 – 3000 diamonds. 6, 3, & 1.5 micron lapping films. Maybe the 6 micron lapping film was contaminated or not needed, but the result looked worse than after 3000 grit.

I was not 100% happy about the result, so I stropped with 4/2 & 1/0.5   microns Poly Diamond Emulsion.

Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

Keep in mind that cheap knives have cheap steel and an 18 dps edge will not last long. It will be much sharper though before you add a 20 dps micro bevel. Its always a trade off unfortunately.

Lay
    Participant

Yes. It won’t last long but maybe with 20 degrees micro bevel it will be Ok. I will try how it works.  I’m planning to sharpen this “on the field” with 20 degree ceramic ultra fine rod thing… 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.