Advanced Search

So…Is There A Repair For This???

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies So…Is There A Repair For This???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

Ok…I’m a Newbie and I made one bad stroke that resulted in a scratched blade.  It’s about 1mm from the edge, on a Cutjack, with D2 steel.  Is there a way to repair this myself or do I just have to live with it? It’s my own EDC, so it’s not a huge deal, but I would like to learn the fix, if there is one.

fullsizeoutput_216

Attachments:
    Andybrock
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 8

I’d leave it alone, it will eventually come out with future sharpenings.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

You can re-finish the flats of the blade. A lot of people do this with sand paper or whet stones. I have never done it myself, but the processseems to be very similar to sharpening.

Organic
    Participant

Here’s a thread on another forum about re-finishing knives: http://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2557

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

Thanks for the replies and links.  Took a look, however the finish and grind marks on the blade face look like they’ll be difficult to reproduce.  If anything, I’ll have to practice a lot on a junk blade.

Organic
    Participant

Practicing on a knife you don’t care about is always a good plan.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve had this happen a couple of times and my attempts at polishing out the new scratches have been far less than successful.  At a microscopic level, the scratches reach down into the grind scratch lines.  This means that the only way to completely remove them requires that you do a regrind.  Without fixtured equipment, any new scratch pattern you leave will be made obvious by the original lines.

A few of the fellows who visit here have polished their primary grinds to a mirror finish using just sandpaper.  Just for show – not to repair a whoopsie.

If you were desperate to repair the damage, I’d contact Josh at Razor Edge Knives.  This is what he does and he’s really good at it.  Maybe he’ll chime in here.  Or you can send him a PM – he’s “Josh” here on this forum.  If nothing else but to see what the cost would be.

NorCalQ
    Participant

Thanks for the replies.  I think I’ll leave things as is.  I fear if I go down deep enough to get rid of the scratches, I will alter the bevel’s profile at that point.  I’ll chalk it up to the learning process and a reminder that diligence is always necessary.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.