Advanced Search

Sneak Peak

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Sneak Peak

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

Havent signed on to forum for several months and thought “sneak peak” might be about solution for serrated edges. Seems like solution for serrated has been in the works for a long time.

Yeah, I’ve thought about this quite a bit (way before I ever started with my WE 😉 )

The problem with a “solution” for serrated is almost all serrated knives have something unique that must be applied to them but causes failure for other serrated patterns. A few examples:

Some serrations are ground perpendicular to the edge. Others are ground perpendicular to the “cut line” or spine. Some fall somewhere in between. A fixed arm/clamped system will only work on the first, and that only with absolutely precisely mounted blades. For the others, the blade would need to travel along the arm mounting point or visa versa.

Serrations are different sizes and shapes. From wide shallow “U”s to deep “U”s to narrow “U”s to all the same variations of “V”s. then you have rounded “points” and apexed “points”. You can find any combination of those intermixed together.

There have been several attempts from other companies to address this but none are perfect. DMT has a system of cylindrical and variablely tapered rods. Yes, there is usually a spot on each variable rod that fits most U shaped serrations but any travel on the rod (the sharpening motion) takes you from too narrow to too wide. It fails totally on V shaped serrations. Fixed radius rods work fine on “U”s IF you find a properly sized rod(s) for your serration pattern. Spyderco attempted to solve this by using triangles to create a single point of contact (the apex of the triangle) You work this single point in and out of the various serration shapes. It works (IMO) better than most of the cylindrical solutions but requires a very steady progression to maintain the original pattern. The best solution to date (IMO) is the Spyderco Profile set. Two different variably radiused curves (eg Spirals 😉 ) opposing two different V notch angles. I can usually find a place to set these very close to the original serration pattern but the angles have to be held unguided and each serration has to be sharpened individually, ugh 😉

Add to this the wide variety of blade shapes you’ll find and the combination quickly becomes overwhelming, especially in the context of a fixed arm system.

This may be the one area I find the floating blade design of the EP actually has an advantage. Yeah, you’d have to constantly adjust the blade against the stone path but it would remove a few of the variables, simplifying the process.

For WE to do this would require a complete redesign, allowing either the blade or the arms to slide relative to one another. No simple solution.

I know Clay is working on this, but just the 5 minutes I took to write down the basic issues gave me a headache 😉 I’d hate to be actually working on a solution 😉 Of course, if he finds one, I’m interested, but I’m not holding out a huge degree of hope.

Saying “offer a serrated option” sounds simple until you look at what that solution entails. It gets overwhelming very quickly, at least to my mind.

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

You mean you guys don’t have the serrated sharpener???

(Kidding of course). :silly:

I do know the serrated attachment is closer…. because I broke his prototype last time I visited. :whistle:
    (Never take me to a china shop.)

(I’ll leave it to your imagination to figure out the photo… HINT: has something to do with sharpening, has nothing to do with the WE.)

Great post Ken!

🙂

Attachments:
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Thanks Curtis. I’ve spent a LOT of time trying various “solutions” for serrated edges (did it show? 😉 )

Okay, so what in the world is that thing? Looks like some kind of microscope clamp (or camera?)

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant

Clay actually has a concept for serrated edges that I think would work good, but can’t get anyone to make the dang thing. But he has a couple of decent alternatives in the works.

I added to the hint… it has something to do with sharpening… but nothing to do with the WE. 🙂

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Clay actually has a concept for serrated edges that I think would work good, but can’t get anyone to make the dang thing. But he has a couple of decent alternatives in the works.

I’d love to see that prototype.

I added to the hint… it has something to do with sharpening… but nothing to do with the WE. 🙂

A CATRA vice! 😉

Ken

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

all of those Kudos for helping to design the extension are now erased…
    Broke the prototype ?????????????????:evil:

cbwx34
    Participant

A CATRA vice! 😉

It’s a scissor sharpener adapter for a belt sander. :woohoo:

all of those Kudos for helping to design the extension are now erased…
    Broke the prototype ?????????????????:evil:

Might explain the meeting he suddenly remembered he had to get to…. :dry: 😉

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

I would love to know how to sharpen sissors:huh:

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

It’s a scissor sharpener adapter for a belt sander. :woohoo:

Ah, cool, makes sense.

Ken

Ted
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 9

Clay- I’ve been following this sneak peak for a few months now and am curious how close it is to market. I have a bunch of Scandi blades with zero grinds that simply can’t be sharpened with the stock clamp. I’d love to be able polish up their bevels.

I stopped by your booth at Blade to ask you or Kay about it, but you guys were swamped! That’s a good problem to have, right? :cheer:

Any ideas when this new product will be out and available?

TedP

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Good question! We should have the lower angle device in about 3 weeks and the S.W.A.T. jig in about 4.

–Clay Allison

This was posted by Clay around a week ago.

(Edited for accuracy)

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=13&id=11814&limitstart=10&Itemid=271

Jerry
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

I too am interested in this and have hopes that it would eliminate my need to use other knife sharpeners for several of my knives. There was discussion about this or a similar accessory well over a year ago (possibly two years) and I watched it for months till it was gone. I hadn’t been on the forum for several months and found this tread and thought it looks like this will happen. But since this thread is months old and the projected release date is also passed it looks like another case of hype. Sorry to say that, but for what I have invested in the initial kit and then additional investments in replacement arms, etc. it is time for something to happen.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Sorry to say that, but for what I have invested in the initial kit and then additional investments in replacement arms, etc. it is time for something to happen.

People amaze me sometimes… so because you bought a sharpening system that you have used for 2 years…And you bought it at fair market price of your own volition
    this puts you in a position to apply pressure to anyone.. and justifies that.. Really?

That is about the most irrational thing I have read in quite a while…

Jerry
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Sorry to say that, but for what I have invested in the initial kit and then additional investments in replacement arms, etc. it is time for something to happen.

People amaze me sometimes… so because you bought a sharpening system that you have used for 2 years…And you bought it at fair market price of your own volition
    this puts you in a position to apply pressure to anyone.. and justifies that.. Really?

That is about the most irrational thing I have read in quite a while…[/quote]

I am sure that some people are amazed much easier than others. I bought a sharpening system that I assumed would work with most if not all of my knives and yes while the price of the system is not cheap I willingly paid for it without anyone forcing me to do so. When I found out that I could not use it on thin blade and my small pocket knives I was not happy but I dealt with it. I didn’t come crying to this forum or anything else, just lived with the fact that most of the knives I use need to be sharpened on another system. Another system that I feel does not or maybe I should say, would not do as good of a job at as the Wicked Edge system. Then there was hope many months back – an attachment was in the works that would allow the Wicked Edge system to be used with the knives that I sharpen the most – YEA. After the thread died I kept watching for new products to appear – not only the ones that did, but the adapter that would allow me to sharpen the knives that I used most. Nothing was found. So yes, I was happy when I found a new thread that there were prototypes and the finished addition to my system would soon become a reality. Only to again see nothing.

So, being driven to irrationality by having my hopes of being able to use my Wicked Edge system to sharpen the knives that I normally use not become a reality (again) I made my post. Do I think that one post by me will apply any pressure to anyone here – absolutely not. Did it make me feel better? Yes it did. Will I buy the accessory, of my own free will with my own worked for money? Yes I will. But also, being my age, I hope that the accessory is made prior to my death. Oh wait, another one of those irrational pressure wielding sentences.

This is the internet and anyone can praise a post or question the reason behind it. As for me I won’t take offense and to keep flames from burning won’t probably reply to additional posts.

cbwx34
    Participant

This is the internet and anyone can praise a post or question the reason behind it. As for me I won’t take offense and to keep flames from burning won’t probably reply to additional posts.

Cause there won’t be any. :angry:

Hang in there Hawks_Feather. I think they’re either in, or an actual batch is being produced right now. You may want to give them a call and make sure you can get your hands on one…. I suspect they’ll go fast. :ohmy:

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.