Advanced Search

Sneak Peak

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Sneak Peak

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’ve got some prototypes of the new low angle adapter in. This piece allows for reducing the angle by approximately 7 degrees from what is stated on the degree bar. In the photos is pictured a cheap 4″ utility blade measuring .75″ from spine to edge. I’d love some feedback on this new accessory.

-Clay

Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

Cool! Does it require longer arms as well?

Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

Cool! Does it require longer arms as well?

wickededge
    Keymaster

It doesn’t require them but they would be a benefit, especially for longer knives.

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Hey Clay,

Would you offer some arms with a greater lenght than the current ball joint arms at some point?
    Maybe a kit? Looks interesting.

Is there a reason you have the accessory clamped up so that it is not even, front to back, in the stock jaws?

I wonder if some ridges or maybe a notch could be put on the extension where it sits in the vise to allow the stock jaws to fit inside and center it relative to the stock vise? I know that the more machining required… or additional stock thickness, just would make the device more expensive…

It looks promising though.

Phil

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I like it, Clay.

I want one!

Aside from that mower blade fiasco, I rarely go higher than 26° inc and would love an easy way to go lower for a few blades. Might work well for narrow knives too. Like paring knives.

Ken

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Love it! My only concern is that the extension vise will bend at the top… This has been an issue in the past with the regular jaws, but this looks thinner… How does it seem to hold up clay?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hey Clay,

Would you offer some arms with a greater lenght than the current ball joint arms at some point?

Yes, I think we would offer those, would be easy to do.

Is there a reason you have the accessory clamped up so that it is not even, front to back, in the stock jaws?

I wonder if some ridges or maybe a notch could be put on the extension where it sits in the vise to allow the stock jaws to fit inside and center it relative to the stock vise? I know that the more machining required… or additional stock thickness, just would make the device more expensive…

I’m not exactly sure what you mean here (might be because I’ve spent the last three hours reading through 50 pages of patent docs and accompanying figures and my mind is numb.) The extension slips inside of the stock jaws and is notched to fit in the same way every time, resting on the top of the stock jaws. The extension is machined in such a way that the center-line of the extension clamp is in the same plane as the center-line of the stock clamp. Is this what you’re asking about?

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Love it! My only concern is that the extension vise will bend at the top… This has been an issue in the past with the regular jaws, but this looks thinner… How does it seem to hold up clay?

I haven’t done extensive testing yet but haven’t run into any problems so far. Any volunteers for testing and feedback?

-Clay

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Replies: 109

Looks great. I have in mind another extension jaws – very similar, but low and wide for flexible fillet knives. But there can be 2 issues: 1. knives are of different lengths, so no width will be ideal for every knife. 2. knives are thinning from heel to tip, there can be clamping problem.

wickededge
    Keymaster

Looks great. I have in mind another extension jaws – very similar, but low and wide for flexible fillet knives. But there can be 2 issues: 1. knives are of different lengths, so no width will be ideal for every knife. 2. knives are thinning from heel to tip, there can be clamping problem.

I’m working on some long, very thin spring steel shims to help stabilize flexible blades. Just waiting on samples back now to see how they work.

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

I will test for you Clay.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant

Clay…
    I could not see that in the photos. It looks like the extension is not centered in the vise…
    But I will look again.

Hey Clay,

Yes, I think we would offer those, would be easy to do.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean here (might be because I’ve spent the last three hours reading through 50 pages of patent docs and accompanying figures and my mind is numb.) The extension slips inside of the stock jaws and is notched to fit in the same way every time, resting on the top of the stock jaws. The extension is machined in such a way that the center-line of the extension clamp is in the same plane as the center-line of the stock clamp. Is this what you’re asking about?[/quote]

wickededge
    Keymaster

I will test for you Clay.

I hoped you might 🙂

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Clay…
    I could not see that in the photos. It looks like the extension is not centered in the vise…
    But I will look again.

Yes, the photos are terrible quality, hard to see much detail at all.

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.