Advanced Search

Small recurve knives possible? (spyderco cricket)

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Small recurve knives possible? (spyderco cricket)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Blaine Gribble
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 8

I’m considering purchasing a WE system but I have some concerns. I have mostly very small knives as I’ve found if it doesn’t fit in a watch/coin pocket I just won’t carry and use it. Will the WE properly sharpen a spyderco cricket and spyderco manbug, or is another system more appropriate? Thanks!

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 109

Welcome, small knives aren’t problem, but curvature near the tip of the spyderco cricket probably would with standard stones. Have a look at this stones http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=12&virtuemart_category_id=3&Itemid=84 . They should work fine. Or some ceramics honing rod, but it won’t be as precise as WE.

Blaine Gribble
    Participant

Thank you for the reply LukasPop! If i understand correctly i’ll need to purchase the base wiked edge system as well as the curved blades for use on the cricket. Considering the curved blades only come in medium/fine will that be ok? The rest of the stones that come with the system won’t be of any use on the cricket i assume?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

There have been a cuople of threads on doing recurve blades. I just can’t find them back right now. The trick is to use the sides/corners of the stones. With waterstones you can also easily round their corners. Iirc, Curtis did a topic on this. Maybe he can find it back.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

One thing that is well worth doing with all stones including diamond plates is to bevel off the edges of the stones ; to bevel the stones use a lapping stone at around 45Ëšto remove all the corners the same can be done with a bastard file to the diamond plates . This allows the stones / plates to track around the blade curvatures more easily . It is common practice on bench stones & should also be done on Atoma plates.

Blaine Gribble
    Participant

Thanks for all the help! Should I stick to the rounded stones on recurves (like the cricket) just to be safe?

Lukas Pop
    Participant

Grid range of the rounded stones is limited. I recommend to try flat stones on some cheep recurves to get some practise at first.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I haven’t handled a Spyderco Cricket, but from pictures, I gotta say, that tip looks like it would be easy to remove. I’d try a fine stone first (or you might even cover a fine stone with a piece of tape), mark the edge with a Sharpie, and see how it contacts the area around the tip. Probably can be done with regular stones, but you need to see how it contacts the blade in that area. (Again, just looking at pictures). You might need to adjust how the knife is clamped to better accommodate it.

One thing that is well worth doing with all stones including diamond plates is to bevel off the edges of the stones ; to bevel the stones use a lapping stone at around 45Ëšto remove all the corners the same can be done with a bastard file to the diamond plates . This allows the stones / plates to track around the blade curvatures more easily . It is common practice on bench stones & should also be done on Atoma plates.

Hadn’t really thought about this…. it could prevent a stone from digging into the metal, but so can technique. Light pressure, let the stone follow the edge, etc. should do the trick. But, something to consider,,, some diamond stone edges are pretty sharp, and this could be helpful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.