Advanced Search

Sharpness Testing Machines

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I saw that a number of people are using the Besse machine for sharpness testing so I ordered on to compare with the one I built from BassLakeDan’s plans. I’m happy to say the two correlate extremely well. It’s even possible to establish a ratio between different media between the two machines which is really convenient.

We’re now in the process of automating some of the testing. We’ve got a small CNC rigged up to a media holder and a jig for holding the knife blade. We will be able to program different slicing motions to test against rope, carrots, whatever we can manage to grip in our media holder. We’re using the x-axis of the CNC table to tension the media and capturing the force via a load cell and running the signal back to the Arduino that controls the motors so that the tensioning motor will stop once a specified tension is reached. The knife will then come over and begin to slice. We’ll be able to capture the force across the y-axis by continuing to capture data from the tension load cell and we’ll also be able to capture the downward force because the whole media holder is mounted on another load cell. Once we get it all up and running, it should be super exciting.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here are some pictures:

This is a robotic arm we’ve been testing.

Here’s Ross working on the wiring.

Here’s a shot of the CNC frame and motors.

-Clay

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Now THAT is cool 😉

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow, that sounds and looks like a very advanced sharpness testing machine!

Very good to hear that the results correlate well with Dan’s machine. Sometime, sometime, when i have time…

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’m really pleased that the results correlate so well because it means that we can all share our information and learn from each other’s testing, really broadening our body of knowledge.

-Clay

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.