Advanced Search

Sharpening direction.

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Sharpening direction.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

Hi guys.

Just a thought folks, which way do you sharpen with your stones?

From the heal up and away or from the heal starting at the top and stroking down and away.

I’ve seen that quite a few people do this both ways and was just interested what way you do in and your reasons why?

I have always gone from the heal of the blade stroking up and away motion.

Steve

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

A technique I’ve learned from this forum is to alternate between the two, as it really makes it easy (with a loupe) to know when you’ve removed the scratches from the previous grit.

The last grit or two, I always go from the heal starting at the top and stroking down and away, using the very lightest pressure I can.  This produces scratches on the blade that more effectively cut food as you pull the knife towards you.

Alan

3 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve been trying to stay with edge-leading (down and away or down and toward), especially with grits below 800.  Clay has seen evidence that edge-trailing strokes can leave deep chips in the edge as weak areas break away.

I also have been trying to use the alternate direction method that Alan refers to.  This lets you see clearly when you’ve removed all the scratches from the previous grit.

Here’s a little tidbit that may or may not have value to you: If you settle in on a specific direction for each grit (as in 800 grit is ALWAYS down and away), it might help you to retrace your steps.  If you see a deep scratch you hadn’t noticed before, you can pretty well tell which grit you need to go back to.  This is all easier said than done as it requires a good deal of attention and focus.  With my industrial-strength ADD, it’s only helped me a few times.  I’m thinking somebody else might benefit from it.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.