Advanced Search

Sharpening a Serrated Edge

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Sharpening a Serrated Edge

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Ohh…while talking about serrations.. How do you guys do gut hooks?

Baddly :blush:

I never get them and got my first.
    Original edge was horrid, even the factory did a bad job.

Tried everything in the shop, nothing could take away that much metal to get a burr.
    I got it half there with tapered sharpeners and wheels.

In my research, I was intrigued with the Ken Onion hand held unit …. the belts a re thin enough that they do fit in there nicely it seems …. but how often do you get a gut hook to spend $200 on?

Over thousands of knives and a few weeks ago got one.
    Left better than it came but not up to my specs.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Zamfir,

Get two of these, a variable speed bench grinder, some wood glue, and this and you will be all set up. You can pm me your number or call me when you get everything in and i’ll walk you through set up. you will get hair popping restored serrations in no time!

Ziggy,

I have done several of the gut hooks now and they aren’t bad… but you need to follow the above and then make sure you have fresh grit. Of course, I use a cut off grinding wheel and I just strip off all the abrasive and it removes metal pretty quickly, so it may take you a bit longer w/ the gritted shaper wheel, but it still isn’t too bad.

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Ziggy,

I have done several of the gut hooks now and they aren’t bad… but you need to follow the above and then make sure you have fresh grit. Of course, I use a cut off grinding wheel and I just strip off all the abrasive and it removes metal pretty quickly, so it may take you a bit longer w/ the gritted shaper wheel, but it still isn’t too bad.

Josh, have them and was gonna give it a whirl but didn’t have the time to shape, glue and set ….. friend called short notice, dropped off a box of 40 old beatup, killed, some ground to filet knives from full chef’s … unbelievable old mess. But its their old cabin stock for butchering and damn if that old carbon was not tough as diamonds, still have a few to finish off, just the final stages.

The only one with a gut hook was his skinner and he was taking a bunch of the beaters and his skinner hunting to Wyoming the next day!

So had to make due with what I had.
    I’m gonna grab a cheapo/old one from somewhere and shape the wheel, will call when I do.

Dremel with a polishing thick disc with tormex abrasive did OK but way too long.
    Good as a touchup method but not the initial grind. It will pull a burr once the angle and apex is set.

On that link, I saw this, holder, for the price, its actually really good at holding various stones, surprising.
    Recommend if you ever need one.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Cool! I love grizzly! I got a huge sandblast cabinet from them for a super good deal… been using it about 7-8 months now and it’s great!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.