Advanced Search

Sharpen standing or sitting?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpen standing or sitting?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SVan
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 4

I am about to take the plunge.  I am debating either buying the 130 or the Gen 3 Pro.  Would you say that the Gen 3 Pro is more likely used standing because it is taller, and the 130 is more likely used sitting because it is not as tall?

What model do you all have and do you mainly stand or sit when using it?

If you sit, do you sharpen at kitchen table height or at higher workbench/stool height?

Thanks in advance.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I sharpen only sitting at my dining room table.  I have both models.  I lowered my Gen 3 Pro.  It no longer has the under-mounted shelf unit that elevated it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

SVan
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 4

<p style=”text-align: left;”>MarcH</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>If you were only going to buy one, which would you buy?</p>
     How frequently have you found that the Gen 3 did not fit your knife properly but the 130 did?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the forum Samuel Vanchieri.  I have mostly chef ‘s or kitchen knives and only a few folders or every-day-carry, (EDC), knives.  Some of the kitchen knives are uneven or asymmetrical beveled knives, with a different bevel angle from one side to the other.  These knives require that I use WE130 when the bevel angles, from side to side, are very different.  For my more classic style chef’s knives, except the very long, large knives, the Gen 3 Pro works quite well.  If you sharpen long enough and frequently enough, many different knives will cross your path, some that are better handled by one model then the other.

The Gen 3 Pro touts the ability to easily sharpen convex edges.  Since I have yet to apply one these edges, this feature is not of a real importance to me.  If I were to have to choose between the two models I’d go with the WE130 for it’s versatility.

Still the WE130 does have some sharpening limitations.  I use accessories, adapters, modifications to overcome most of these.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I have the generation 3 pro model and sharpen while standing exclusively. I like to be able to look over the top of the blade while sharpening and I can’t do that while sitting.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Welcome Samuel!  I converted one of my closets into my workshop.  I removed the shelves from my Gen 3 Pro and use it on top of two Crafstman tool boxes which puts it at a comfortable height for the WE arm motions.  Like Organic, I’ve always sharpened standing up.  One of the tool box drawers was a perfect size to hold all the WE accessories.

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

I use my Gen 3 standing because I am always inspecting the knife with a loop and flashlight and have to stand anyways for this.  I only sit when I am stropping free hand or something like that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.