Advanced Search

Second set of strops?

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Second set of strops?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

It seems you’re looking to to advance your outcomes. I suggest you upgrade the WE100 first.

In order to use an angle cube, however you learn to use it you, to adjust for the angle precision a cube affords, I recommend that you upgrade to micro-adjusters: https://wickededgeusa.com/products/ball-joints-with-micro-adjustment

In order to do what your looking to do more easily, improving the way your WE100 is operated is the way I’d go. I’d look to upgrade your WE100 into at least the WE120. That’d would give you better control and make it easier to go in the direction you wanting to go.

There’s not really a wrong way to use cubes, as long as you zero it out. With time and practice you’ll figure out what you’re comfortable with and confident in. The precision a cube allows is best harnessed by upgrading your setup. I suggest you use the upgrade guide or take the upgrade quiz.

The longer guide rods are easier to use with an upgraded setup.

Realize the WE100 is the entry level model. It is priced and option the new users. You really need the features of a better optioned model to advance your ability to use your W.E. well.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Ribstabsheart
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 19

Thank you!!
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Looks like the WE120UP1 is the upgrade that will give me an extra 5° per side + the micro adjustments (similar to the plastic screws you sent my way a while back!). This seems to be more in line with what I’m hoping to achieve– and is the same price as the low angle adapter.</p>
    Now to decide if I should go with the 12, 14, or 15″ guide rods. I should probably set mine up and grab a tape measure and see what would work best. There were a couple times sharpening large knives that I was worried the stones would come off, so maybe the 14 would be safer.

Marc H

From my experiences 14″ is a good length. That should gives you what you need. Realize longer rods can be gangly in use. I still knock guide rod ends together from time to time.

Longer rods may be needed if you work with a riser block set up or a LAA while sharpening longer knives.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Ribstabsheart
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 19

Knowing me, I will probably end up with a bunch of different rods eventually  but 15 just feels a little too big. 14 also seems long, but I’m taking into account the Riser block on the 120. Should give me a lot of options for working with all kinds of blade sizes!

Marc H

Knowing me, I will probably end up with a bunch of different rods eventually but 15 just feels a little too big. 14 also seems long, but I’m taking into account the Riser block on the 120. Should give me a lot of options for working with all kinds of blade sizes!

To be clear, I work with an additional riser under the WE120 std riser.  (The upgrade you’re considering, includes a riser and a longer square bar to convert the base model WE100 into the better featured WE120).

On my Gen3 vise setups, that vise is taller. I also use a riser there for additional elevation.

I use the extra height to improve my low angle range on all my setups so I can avoid the need to use a LAA. Also the riser block helps us use the full stone length more efficiently while working with stone stops.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.