Advanced Search

screw / knob coming loose on a constant basis

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies screw / knob coming loose on a constant basis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rick Topp
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 4

Hi Guys,

I’m new to the WE and have a general question about the equipment. On the right hand side, the screw which holds the angle of the stone keeps coming loose and thus moving. I understand that it may come loose over time but I’m talking about it coming loose after 2-3 strokes. I’m a fairly strong person and can tighten the screw fairly well…short of using a pair of pliers (which I have not tried), I’m at a loss why this one side keeps coming loose.

The left hand side does not come loose at all during the entire knife sharpening process.

Any suggestions would be welcome 🙂

Cheers,
    Rick

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

You might take a look at this thread… there was some suggestions in it for dealing with this.

Rick Topp
    Participant
    • Replies: 4

Ok, I looked at my screw ends and they are both rounded per the thread. I was hoping that I wouldn’t have to use loctite / teflon tape or do something else on a system like this when spending this kind of $ on it.

I absolutely love the results I am getting on knives but this screw repeatedly coming loose is a huge pain. Is there anything else that can be done to rectify this on a more permanent basis instead of having to do something with each knife set-up? I’m sharpening a lot of knives everyday so this becomes rather cumbersome.

Any help / fixes would be awesome…thanks 🙂

Cheers,
    Rick

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I’ve been looking/playing with mine trying to figure something out, and while both my screws stay tight, I do notice that I can loosen one screw noticeably easier than the other, and that the tip on this on appears a bit fatter. I took a picture, but I’m not sure if it really shows well…

Maybe check yours and see if you can tell a difference? If so, maybe trying a different screw might fix it.

I also noted that the tips appear scuffed. I mentioned this in the other thread, I know that this has come up before, and some noted it goes away over time… maybe it gets a little scuffed up and secures better.

Anyway, if you do see a difference, you could get another screw sent out to try. You could also try swapping sides to see if the problem follows the screw, that would also tell. That’s about the only reason I can think of.

Attachments:
    Aleksei Dyachkov
    Participant
    • Replies: 8

I found out that reversing the arms so the bolts are on the flat side of the rod somehow helped with the same issue. The con is that it’s a bit more tricky to set up an angle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.