Advanced Search

Scratches below the bevel?

Recent Forums Main Forum Scratches below the bevel?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Roman Suarez
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Hi!

Hope y’all are doing well. I just wanted to ask for suggestions on how these scratches may be happening without ever missing the bevel allowing the stone to drag across the blade. Even when I take good caution, I haven’t been able to complete a sharpening without getting some of these scratches below the bevel… which makes no sense to me…

Thanks for the help!

-Roman

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

We see those scratches commonly in the new users. I did the same thing till I realized how I was doing it.  Probably the second knife you didn’t experience the scratches because you had noticed it after the first knife and exercised just a little more care, enough to avoid scratching the knife sides from gently dragging the stones across the sides.  Till you gain more experience I’d apply blue painter’s tape to the knife’s sides to protect them from random scratches.  As the stones slide down to the very bottom of the angle rods its easy to drag them across the sides of the knives.  Some of us use robber washers an spacers slid down on the rods to limit how low the stones will slide to prevent those scratches.  Sometimes it’s easy to scratch a knife while wiping the metal and abrasive dust off the knife you’re sharpening. I believe that it’s possible to drag abrasive dust and metal filings across the knife sides with your fingertips as you’re gripping the stones as you slide the stones up and across the knife during your sharpening motions.

Roman, did you have something between the knife sides and the vice jaws when you clamped the knife.  Some times if you use something it can trap metal filing and dust that can scratch the knife sides when you unclamp the knife.

Lower-Stone-Stop

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Roman Suarez
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

Thanks so much for your help. It seems like my next best option is to try the rubber washer idea. Maybe I’m just not realizing that I’m allowing that to happen. As far as the clamp, I used a small piece of blue painters tape. Do you recommend doing that?

What size washers or Orings do you use for the rods?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Roman I use painter tape on knives I feel need protecting like folders to keep dust out of the hinge mechanisms.  I used to apply tape to knife sides where I clamped them.  I stopped using tape and have been using a small rectangular patch of real leather chamois.  I find that it compresses well under clamping pressure and helps to hold the knife very securely.  I use a dry microfiber-towel or a dry swifter wipe to constantly wipe down the knife to remove metal during the sharpening, followed by cleaning with a towel with rubbing alcohol  Maybe most important is I use plastic safety shields so now my fingers no longer contact or drag across the knife sides as I sharpen. I use Clay’s suggestion in this Forum post to make it easier to get the shields on and off.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.