Advanced Search

Scary sharp

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 11

Hi there,

Last night I sharpened my Gayle Bradley Spyderco folder. It is a fabulous custom collaboration in CPM-M4 steel. M4 is not stainless but a very tough steel.
    After setting up the knife in the WE, I walked through all the stones, from 100 all the way up to .6 MFC.
    Between each stone I blackened the edge again with the felttipmarker to be sure I hit every part of the edge with the following stone. I decided to give the blade a 32 degrees inclusive edge (16 per side)
    When I was done there was no need for stropping anymore. That knife is DANGEROUSLY sharp now.
    I have been sharpening my knives myself for almost 20 years with the Spyderco sharpmaker and I am not considering myself an expert, but I have never made a knife this sharp.
    Next step will be to purchase a stropblockset or two to finish the job (mirrorlook B) ). I am totally convinced now that purchasing that WE was a good choice!

:silly:

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

I couldn’t agree more…………….LOVE, LOVE, my WEPS PP2……..:woohoo:

Jack Montrose
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 67

Yep, you caught the bug…. :side:

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Hi there,

When I was done there was no need for stropping anymore. That knife is DANGEROUSLY sharp now.
    I have been sharpening my knives myself for almost 20 years with the Spyderco sharpmaker and I am not considering myself an expert, but I have never made a knife this sharp.
    Next step will be to purchase a stropblockset or two to finish the job (mirrorlook B) ). I am totally convinced now that purchasing that WE was a good choice!

:silly:

I know that moment when the grin goes from ear to ear! :woohoo:

Just a thought? You might check out the Ken Schwartz line of product for strops? A guy can get really fancy with his line paste and sprays! And the complete line up through WEPS?
    When in doubt I will call Bob Nash and have him walk me through?
    http://www.oldawan.com/
    Have fun and welcome to the clubhouse!!

Tomas
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 11

Yep, definetely grinning 🙂

The saga continued last night. A friend of mine came by for dinner and he always carries a Caly 3,5 in VG10 steel (Spyderco). I have the the same knife, but in Aogami super blue. First we sharpened his VG10 in 19 degrees, second the Aogami in 17 degrees. Both knives are sick-sharp now 😛 Can you imagine I even didn’t try stropping yet? :pinch:

Especially those more special steeltypes are a treat on the WE. You can totally enjoy all the fine properties those steels have to offer. It is a matter of pushing the limits of steepness of the angle 😉

Cool side, oldawan, is the kangaroo and nano-cloth his WE-contribution?

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Cool side, oldawan, is the kangaroo and nano-cloth his WE-contribution?

No. He is just a dealer for WE. But he does offer other goodies and just a fountain of information!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.