Advanced Search

SAR Global Recurve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AK Jim
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 15

My son asked me if I could handle sharpening one of his knives. SAR Global Tools Surviver Escape. 1095 steel hollow grind with recurve. I think he tried it on a belt sander. Any suggestions. I read some posts about using the edge of the stone on the recurve do portion but am a bit confused about ther?

Attachments:
    Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

I ended up buying the curves stones for my kukris and knives like this. In all honesty the normal stones will work just break up the sharpening into 2-3 sections.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Should be a fun one!

If you are resting the paddle on the blade twist the paddle slightly so that only the leading or trailing edge is touching the blade at any time during the recurve.

Especially at the choil end if the paddle is making full contact front and back… you can see it start to make a groove.

That’s all there is to it. Good luck.!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Should be a fun one!

If you are resting the paddle on the blade twist the paddle slightly so that only the leading or trailing edge is touching the blade at any time during the recurve.

Especially at the choil end if the paddle is making full contact front and back… you can see it start to make a groove.

That’s all there is to it. Good luck.!

i normally maintain full contact w/ both corners of the stone the full way through, the key is not to do directly up and down scrubbing motions. instead, you need to do scrubbing motions or sweeping motions covering at least 2x the stone width from heel to tip so you don’t groove anything. works great for me!

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I think Josh is also 100% correct (ofcourse). 😉

But it can depend on your technique as well. When sweeping the blade heel to tip its not as big of a concern. What I experienced was a slight groove line being formed when going tip to heel and working the ricasso area. Tilting the paddle eliminated this from happening.

I’ve done a whopping 2 recurve so should probably just go sit on the porch and listen from here on… LOL 😛

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I think Josh is also 100% correct (ofcourse). 😉

But it can depend on your technique as well. When sweeping the blade heel to tip its not as big of a concern. What I experienced was a slight groove line being formed when going tip to heel and working the ricasso area. Tilting the paddle eliminated this from happening.

I’ve done a whopping 2 recurve so should probably just go sit on the porch and listen from here on… LOL 😛

I have been wrong plenty before Cliff! Ahhh so I see why you were experiencing the groove! Makes sense why you said what you did earlier and if you were using this technique then yeah you would have to be careful and do as you say =)

AK Jim
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 15

Thanks guys looked it up and now I know what the ricasso area is :silly: was wondering about the Schrades and why the sedge didn’t go all the way back to the handle! Always learning something here. Can’t wait for my son to drop of the SAR and see what I can do. Thanks again for the tips.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.