Advanced Search

Sandpaper Adhesive

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bradr9
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0

A lot of users of the WE use sandpaper for taking out the aggressive scratches from the diamond stones. I figure, if I use sandpaper I’d attach the strops to my 1k grit stone.

What adhesives or methods do you all use for modifying stones in this way?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Sand paper, by its very nature makes scratches… that why they use water on the final finish and color sanding to be a lubricant. all of the micron pastes have a lubricant in them… you would not want to use water  ( wet-n-dry sandpaper ) on your W.E.  They sell these pastes that are designed to be applied directly to a  W.E. strop…  0.5 micron is the same as using 50,000 grit sand paper.  1.0 micron is the same as using 10,000 grit sandpaper. you can buy micron paste in any flavor ( grit ) 1.5 micron, 2.5 micron etc. and it has the lubricant already in it. dry sand paper is not the way to go if you are looking for a mirror finish.

I know I did not answer your question, I was just trying to help you avoid a problem.. they also sell lapping tapes with an adhesive back .

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The aluminum platens sold under the “Accessory Stones” menu make for a very nice basis with any of the PSA-backed abrasives available at any number of sites.  The diamond film sold here is already cut to match the WE platens.  They also offer glass platen stones.  I started out with glass but have migrated to brass, as I think there’s less chance of scratching.  Brass and aluminum are much softer than steel and glass is much harder.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

What sort of scratching do you mean, Tom? By broken glass?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Not really broken glass, but sharp corners or edges which can accidentally scratch the main bevels.  I made my own glass platens before WE offered theirs and I had a lot of scratch problems.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

A lot of users of the WE use sandpaper for taking out the aggressive scratches from the diamond stones. I figure, if I use sandpaper I’d attach the strops to my 1k grit stone. What adhesives or methods do you all use for modifying stones in this way?

Aloha Brad,  Ive used a variety of different sandpaper strips simply cut & taped onto a 1000 grit paddle to great success from the beginning.  One of the Key Advantages of this approach is there is no change in the angle since I am using the same paddle.

Just last week I saw someone post about double sided sticky tape and had to check it out.  Short answer is it rocks!  I removed and replaced well over 30 strips without it losing its adhesion.

For those on a tight budget this is certainly a way to get there but AlO2 lapping films are single use items not like the more durable diamond films available.  I personally count that as an advantage since every time I tape a fresh one on I know exactly what the grit will do.
    ~Cliff

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.