Advanced Search

Sad realization regarding the WEPS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I’ll preface this by saying I have way too many great knives and the vast majority are made from really great to outstanding steels. I’ll also admit I don’t use my knives as hard as some folks so a good edge tends to last me a long time. Typically 3-4 weeks of normal constant use but in reality it’s much longer as I don’t usually carry the same knife continuously for that long.

So anyway, this morning I had a little extra time. I decided I would sharpen something…..

I knew the Native 5 in my pocket was already sharp so I started digging through my top alternate carry knives. Flicked open my S90V Manix 2. Nope, still perfect… CPM-M4 Manix 2? Nope… Balance? ZDP Stretch? Super blue Caly 3? 3.5? All my kitchen knives (including the ones stored away that I don’t use anymore)? Even my Pacific Salt still has a screaming edge on it. I went through the top 20 folding knives I was most likely to carry looking for anything. None of them needed even a touch up…

Danged WEPS!

So, in the end, I just popped open the iPad and came here to complain.:whistle:

Anyone else have this “problem”?

Ken

Jeremy Long
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 21

Yeah.. But I have a couple cheaper knives I dont like that I intentionally dull sometimes just so I can sharpen them back up again

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

That’s an idea! I have a bag full of those 🙂

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Family, friends, neighbors?

There’s lots of dull knives in this world…. 🙂

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Hey Ken,

Glad you raised this topic. I am anticipating a similar problem. I am still working through my knife collection. Not done yet. What I have noticed is I enjoy sharpening a knife from scratch, but get lazy when it comes to touch ups.

Case in point. I have stropped my current EDC 3-4 times by hand since being on the WEPS. It is a black coated blade and notices I stropped some coating off near the tip/belly as my angle was too acute in this section. If I had put it back on the WEPS this wouldn’t have happened.

I guess I just need a deeper EDC rotation so I can take one out for touch up on the WEPS. :woohoo:

Jeremy Long
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 21

That’s an idea! I have a bag full of those 🙂

Ken

Very nice for practicing different things and experimentation… Like convex edges going to a certain grit then stropping to see the results etc

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

Family, friends, neighbors?

There’s lots of dull knives in this world…. 🙂

Very true, brother. We were watching the grandkids the other day and I was amazed how dull their kitchen knives were. I got our SIL a Sharpmaker several years ago but I guess it needs to be used 😉 ? The thing is, I hate to bring it up. You know?

Glad you raised this topic. I am anticipating a similar problem. I am still working through my knife collection. Not done yet. What I have noticed is I enjoy sharpening a knife from scratch, but get lazy when it comes to touch ups.

I guess I just need a deeper EDC rotation so I can take one out for touch up on the WEPS. :woohoo:

I know what you mean about touch ups. I tend to do those by hand just for time sake, rather than setting up the WEPS.

And, yes, you definitely need more in your rotation 😉 Everyone does 😉

Ken

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

We were watching the grandkids the other day and I was amazed how dull their kitchen knives were.

They have their own knives? 😆 😆 (j/k)

The thing is, I hate to bring it up. You know?

When I started, I just told them I needed to practice. Do one knife… they’ll quickly let you do the rest.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

They have their own knives? 😆 😆 (j/k)

Yeah, Curtis. Gotta start ’em young. 😉

When I started, I just told them I needed to practice. Do one knife… they’ll quickly let you do the rest.

Good thought. I don’t think they’ll buy “practice”. I was already getting things very sharp, even before the WEPS. I’m not saying it wouldn’t be true. You can always use “skills development”, just that they wouldn’t think so….

But offering to do one knife isn’t such a bad idea.

Ken

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Very true, brother. We were watching the grandkids the other day and I was amazed how dull their kitchen knives were. I got our SIL a Sharpmaker several years ago but I guess it needs to be used 😉 ? The thing is, I hate to bring it up. You know?

Ken

You can always say you’re out of knives of your own to sharpen and really want to see how your WE does on this particular steel/brand etc… 🙂

-Clay

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

You can always say you’re out of knives of your own to sharpen and really want to see how your WE does on this particular steel/brand etc… 🙂

True Clay, but the real problem lies with the WEPS. Prior I always knew I could get a knife just a little bit sharper. Coming off the WEPS I just don’t feel that way anymore.

Ken

R. Jeffrey Coates
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 55

SOLUTION: Buy more knives. Problem solved.
    🙂

Ken Buzbee
    Participant

No doubt! 😉 there are a couple on my radar right now. Should be released mid year.

Ken

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

My Mother-In-Law insists on cutting on a glass cuttingboard for everything.
    Good lord she can ruin an edge in record time.
    I’m not bored, though I may wear the knives to fillet shape….
    🙂

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

My Mother-In-Law insists on cutting on a glass cuttingboard for everything.
    Good lord she can ruin an edge in record time.
    I’m not bored, though I may wear the knives to fillet shape….
    🙂

Does she put them in the dish washer when finished? :sick:

My in laws are watching the kids and our house next weekend, I already told the wife I am putting away my good knives and leaving them a $5 knives.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.