Advanced Search

Rapalla fillet knives

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Rapalla fillet knives

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bart LaMont
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 8

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on sharpening the Rapalla fillet knives with the birch wood handle? They are so flimsy that I seem to not get any where with mine sharpening on the pp1

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

The martini filet knives?

I usually work in 2 inch sections down to 1000 grit.

I have a buddy making a 2.5 inch low angle bracket for me. This should help with being able to do 3-5 inches at a time.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

+1 on doing it in sections
    I’m interested on seeing what you make. I was thinking of something like this but never got around to building it. I just don’t get enough of them to make it worth it

Aaron kimpton
    Participant

This is what he made for me

Bart LaMont
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 8

I dabble with some mill and lathe work maybe I’ll give something like that a try, thanks for the ideas

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Very cool

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I did a number of Martiini filet knives this winter – maybe 10 or 15. I did a lot of searching but I never did find out what the correct angles are. You gents have any luck there?

BTW, I clamp the knives with only about 2″ of the tip extending beyond the vise and I hold the handle with the opposite hand to reduce deflection on the near end. Yes, I do one side at a time – maybe 10-20 strokes per side, the switch, repeat…

Aaron kimpton
    Participant

I did an old US made Schrade Filet knife, and an Bubinga opinel filet knife. 14.5 dps on each. It required doing one side at a time. Same as all the martinii knives i have done. Take it slow.

The Schrade knife seemed to do better finished at 800 grit. The opinel was the inox version, It finished down at 1000 grit nicely. I could have went for more, but i find the filet knives do better with a bit of teeth.

jimbo45
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 39

I just did my martini a couple of weeks ago and wish I had done it how did

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Clamp the tip and support the handle. That is all that is needed. Works awesome. I did that on a knife more flexible than the Rapalla.

https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/10-advanced-techniques-and-sharpening-strategies/13328-technique-for-long-flexible-knife?limitstart=0&start=10#20497

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.