Advanced Search

Question about burrs – are they reflective?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Question about burrs – are they reflective?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

As we know, when your knife’s apexed cleanly, light shined directly on the edge will not reflect anything; therefore, if a burr is remaining, shouldn’t there be some reflection if shining the light a bit off-center toward the side of the blade the burr is on?  Since I don’t use a USB microscope, I use a 30x loop and flashlight (or built in LED on the loop) next to it to check things out…works well for me.

Knowing this would help especially when you don’t think you have a burr left, but want to be sure (I think of when sharpening chisel grinds).

Thoughts?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Pat.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Yes it works, did that the other night touching up a couple of the wife’s favorites.. did not feel like dragging the laptop down.. The microscope is much better you get to see things up close and personal.

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

I continued to work on my friend’s CQC7 leading edge of the tanto yesterday and really have a good feel for burr removal.  Still had to use the Gen 2 unit, but given this, I didn’t have to remove the knife and risk micro misalignment from the sharpening angle and level I had.  I just would run laterally the same stone grit I was using along the back ensuring it was flat against the unground side until the burr felt gone and appeared gone under microscope.  Then I would feel a bit of the burr on the ground, sharpened side and ever so slightly (and this is where the advantage of NOT removing the knife comes in) did an edge leading stroke down to remove the burr, but not creating one on the other side.  Sharp as hell and even for such an aggressive tanto as the CQC7, it push cut paper when only stopping at 200 grit (to give a really toothy, user edge) and stropping with 5 and 3.5 strops.  Really pleased with the outcome given I had to remove some major use-chips from the edge and take a lot of steel down to level it back out initially.

After all this, thinking of opening my shop to do some sharpening for some bucks.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.