Advanced Search

Proud New Owner of a Pro Gen 3

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Proud New Owner of a Pro Gen 3

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eagle Greg
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8

Hello Everyone. My name is Greg! I just received my brand new Pro set up 4 days ago and am loving it. Got the stone pretty well broken in on some cheap Field and Stream knives of of Amazon. I purchased both the low angle adapter as well as the 1/4″ adapter, good thing as My Winkler Bushcraft will not fit in the standard jaws. I also purchased the 3000 grit diamond stone and am running 3 micron DLF on the other side. The 50/80 grit diamond as well as the 1500/2200 diamond stones should arrive next week! The Reeves and my 2 Winklers will get the Wicked edge treatment after the additional stones arrive and broken in!

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge forum Greg,  As important to your sharpening outcomes as broken in stones are, is a good understanding and practice of good basic sharpening technique.  I suggest to you, and all new comers, that you gain some practical experience and make your mistakes on some practice knives before you take on your good knives, like the Winklers or Reeves.  Even if your stones are broken in.  Practice on something you won’t mind scratching or scraping up with wrongly places sharpening strokes or miss-shaped or miss-sized bevels from miss-clamped or miss-positioned knives.  There’s much more to sharpening well with the Wicked Edge then just broken in stones.  Enjoy the journey and don’t rush into it.  Give time time!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Eagle Greg
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8

Thanks for the advice Marc. I am not new to sharpening. Used one of the original guided systems that came out about 30 years ago, My Uncle bought it for me as a gift when I got my Eagle Scout. I have been running a belt setup for a couple of years and am sick of the mess and the results(No garage or work shop). Anyways I am at least a couple weeks out before I start hitting up the nice knives. I am at kind of at a stand still until my other stones arrive, they were back ordered when I purchased the Pro. I think the belt setup is going to get sold on craigslist and may use the proceeds to buy a T-8 as I also own 5 gransfors axes, 3 barr chisels and a barr drawknife. Looking forward to talking with you soon regarding the Rack-It!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Eagle Greg.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Eagle Greg. Reason: Spelling Errors... UGH!
    1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.