Advanced Search

Pocket Knife Sharpening ?’s

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ryan
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 21

Okay complete newbie here with the WE…I’m on my third knife now breaking in my WE and more importantly in the early stages of my learning and mastery of this system.

I tried to sharpen an old timer stockman style pocket knife and I found my stones are hitting the vise. I was at 20 degrees which is what I’m accustomed to with my Sharpmaker that I’ve used for years. How do I sharpen the clip point or pen blades without hitting the vise?

Do I need to reduce down the angle to 18, 16 et al in order to miss the vice or am I unable to sharpen shorter blades? What do I need to do differently?

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

You can try mounting the knife higher in the vise. Higher than the upper holes. Some people use something placed on top of the depth guide so that they are easily able to accurately repeat their results ( Allen keys have been suggested).

You would need to take your sharpening angle the other direction (21, 22, 23 degrees) in order to not hit the vise.

The low angle adaptor sold by WE may help.

There is a Tormek attachment that some use with success. http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-Short-Knife-Holder-Jig/dp/B00BZXIMWE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1387995956&sr=8-14&keywords=tormek

Scroll down about half way in this thread. http://www.wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=2&id=11789&Itemid=271#11798

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Wow… Than so much for posting this up Mike! I had totally missed this! Looks like it could be a great tool for some applications. Here is the pic Mike is referring to (in case any of you are too lazy to click on the link 🙂

Curtis, you’re seriously a genius! 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.