Advanced Search

Off center edge ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Raleigh
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

New to the WEPS and trying to get it mastered, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Is it possible to get your edge somehow off center ? I seems to have my knife really sharp but it seems like the edge is off to one side. If I try to shave paper straight on it’s grabby and rips, tilt the knife a few degrees and it seems surgical sharp. Same with hair shaving. Straight on it won’t cut hairs, tilt it a bit and it pops them with no effort. Does this make sense ? Like maybe the angles aren’t matching and one side of the bevel is steeper than the other ? Or maybe one hand its heavy handed and rolling the bevel to a side consistently ?
    Any ideas ? Maybe I’m just breathing in too much stropping dust…

My first thought was I’m not knocking off the burr correctly but man I end up stropping with 1 micron and .5 micron for 15 minutes or so. That ought to knock off a burr right ??

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Hi Dash,

Good question. The answer: that’s very well possible.

A few possible reasons:
    – Your angles on the left and right sight may not be the same. The here for a lot of info on that.
    – You may have been sharpening on one side a lot more than on the other side, for example, if you were first trying to get a burr on one side.
    – Or, similarly, your dominant hand may be giving much more pressure than the other hand.
    – You may have been trying to match existing bevels, which were inconsistent in the first place (which often happens with new factory knives).

Success!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

It could also be a burr that is canted to one side more than the other… 🙂

Josh

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

My first that is the same as Josh’s – you might have a burr pushed to one side.

-Clay

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

Do not over do the stropping, the strops can effect the edge and make it duller.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.