Advanced Search

Noob: Setting Angle w/Sharpie/Marker?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Ya, read about the tip being wider and might make sense as it’s a pretty cheap knife.

I would like to correct a little info, the very tip does get hit at the edge, it’s just the little part before the tip and forward of the main belly that I can’t get. I’ll post pics if I have further trouble (hope not, lol)This is a good idea post some pics.

So do I set the angle on the edge/bulk of the knife, and I guess in the process, re-profile the end to match the rest (keeping it at one angle throughout, essentially “forcing” the tip to match)? Yes

Do I change angle on the hard to reach part and just do that part at a different angle? No. There are some very expensive knives out there that you change angles on but I would think you would probably know if you had one?

I have the knife touching the two pins on the depth key, do I ever raise the tip or rear of the knife to achieve a “non-horizontal/angled” mounting position, if that makes sense? That is the only thing i have never seen or tried, or is that taboo/noneffective? This is a very good rule of thumb. It is advanced WE sharping to change this? This is why a pic would be good! By the way you are doing the right thing asking for help! We were all new at one time so no one minds helping on this board. Remember to just have fun! I forgot that for a few weeks and that was just plain silly! Cause I do this to relax. 😉 🙂

Thx!

Jonny
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 40

So I did some more reading and saw a post explaining that putting the tip down can help get the front of the knife better. I did a test with the knife angled tip-down and now I can get to the edge throughout the entire blade. It even passes the “Horizontal Positioning Test” (front to back positioning)… ie: the marker is removed from the middle and parallel to the edge.

Does this angle look weird or too extreme? Would you sharpen it like this?

Should I need to be angling it so much on an average sized folder or you think i’m doing something wrong?

Thx as always!

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Personally the only time I use that technique is when I Can’t do it the regular way due to the grind of the blade… When I do What you are suggesting, it is normally when I Can’t clamp it in the middle of the blade and rather have to clamp it near the handle side, then I’ll tilt it downward. I would think the way you have it set would change the angle slightly, but I’m no geometry guru lol. Basically you want your stone to be as perpendicular to the edge as possible. But if your getting good results, why not keep doing it?! 😉

Jonny
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 40

Ya, seems to be passing the marker tests but looks like a weird angle to me. It’s not a funky blade or anything which makes me think i’m doing something wrong. But when it’s horizontal I just cant seem to get to the edge on that little part of the tip?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.