Advanced Search

Noob Help w/First Knife

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jonny
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 40

So here’s where i’m at.

After a lot of reading and a couple questions/posts I jumped in with my new WE. Per a previous post on diamond break-in, I used a cheap blade and ran each diamond across it about 50 times “forward”(edge leading) and even did some scrubbing as well w/all the diamonds through 1000. I know that’s not really “broken-in” but I figured it would knock a few diamonds off, enough to try my first “real” knife. Yes, perhaps I’m a little anxious, lol.

My first real “test knife” is nothing super high end but I do like carrying it and I “use” it constantly so the edge was pretty jagged/nicked and dull. I figured my worst attempt would be better than it is. So I set up the knife, used the marker trick and decided 17 degrees was getting all the marker off. Went through the diamond progression at about 20 strokes per grit (scrubbing on my first grit, 100) really just trying to get the feel/sound of the stones. To be honest, I’m not sure what I’m looking for as far as a burr, so probably didn’t raise one but trying to look and see, hoping it will present itself and I will understand. I take the knife off, try it and obviously (although better than it was) not razor sharp.

I then read that Noobs tend to sharpen at too low of a degree and “miss the edge” so I mount it back in and try 18 degrees thinking it would sharpen closer the the edge (if that makes sense) and that might be the problem. Seems like it is still removing all the marker so seems like a better angle. I run through all the diamonds again about 20 strokes, knife is pretty sharp but I know not WE sharp.

So, here’s the question at this point. I finally find a post that details a ballpark on strokes. About 50 up through 600 and up to 100 after. Soooo, obviously I did not do nearly enough strokes. Now at this point, would you start all over w/the 100’s and do the ballpark 50 strokes or since it’s kind of sharp, start w/a higher grit and follow those corresponding stroke recommendations? Again, I know a burr is important as well but w/out really seeing/feeling one, I’m just not sure if it’s there.

I realize (per that post) that there is no set number and i’m trying to “feel” or hear the stones, but for now in practice I’m going to rely more on a set number till I get the feel. Again, the knife is already light years ahead of where it was so no “harm no foul”.

Thanks for reading all that and any advice.

Mario Contino
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 4

Well, if the marker is being taken off entirely, then your bevel should be set. While I’m new here, I can offer my experience that carried over from the Edge Pro to the Wicked Edge, and it seems to work. I don’t usually go all the way down to the 100 grit unless it’s a really hardy steel or I need to really reset a bevel. The 200 & 400 remove enough metal, especially new, to do the job on a standard steel. Well, what I would assume is a standard steel like 440C or 154CM.

Anyway, checking for the burr at the lower to medium grits I’ve found is a bit crucial, and taking your time with keeping your technique consistent will ensure that after you’ve apexed the edge you will continue to do so up through the grits.

Personally, I don’t really count strokes anymore. You’ll get a feel for how the scratch pattern feels under the stones as you pass over the edge. Alternating strokes until you’ve set that grit into the metal is my standard practice. Knocking off the burr with light pressure as well, at the final grit, I feel is also important.

I often only go up to 1000 grit, and while the edge is sticky sharp, it doesn’t do the magical phone book paper slicing thing until I refine it on the strops for a decent amount.

My condense advice is that you don’t need to go all the way down to the 100 grit and remove more metal than you need to. Check the edge with marker again, and then keep consistent through the grits. Use only light pressure to avoid excess metal removal and uneven passes. Take your time, and then strop until your edge is refined.

You’ll get it with a bit more practice. It just comes to you eventually. 😀

Jonny
    Participant
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 40

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I’ll start over at say 400, do more strokes (20 doesn’t seem enough) and really try and create a burr first. I also did not strop at all yet (just trying to get used to the diamonds), I’ll add that.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

If it were me a would at this point start back over with the 400 diamonds. To raise a burr? Scrub on just one side evenly. Then with a finger nail run it against the blade going towards the edge. When a burr is formed you will feel a small lip along the edge. Make sire that lip goes from heel to tip.
    When done with the one side, switch to the other side and repeat. Feeling for the burr on the other side now. When you have a burr from heel to tip stop. Now using the same stones and alternating strokes lightly make around forty to fifty passes. This will remove the burr or also called a wire edge. When you have done this run your nail back up both sides and make sure the lip is gone!
    Now start making your passes gong up the grades with at least fifty alternating strokes up to 1000 grit.
    You should now be ready to strop? Then knife will be very toothy but sharp.
    Have fun!!!

Bill Wood
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 30

If it were me a would at this point start back over with the 400 diamonds. To raise a burr? Scrub on just one side evenly. Then with a finger nail run it against the blade going towards the edge. When a burr is formed you will feel a small lip along the edge. Make sire that lip goes from heel to tip.
    When done with the one side, switch to the other side and repeat. Feeling for the burr on the other side now. When you have a burr from heel to tip stop. Now using the same stones and alternating strokes lightly make around forty to fifty passes. This will remove the burr or also called a wire edge. When you have done this run your nail back up both sides and make sure the lip is gone!
    Now start making your passes gong up the grades with at least fifty alternating strokes up to 1000 grit.
    You should now be ready to strop? Then knife will be very toothy but sharp.
    Have fun!!!

I agree with most of this assessment, however I believe after raising your bur, the additional stokes with the same stones is not needed (IMO). After getting my bur on both sides I proceed to the next higher stone and continue thru the regular progression. My edges come out wickedly sharp. Now since I have not tried the above method I might give it a shot and see if there is any noticeable difference. It just seems to me that you are just taking off metal for no reason.

Sorry but the top section that was inserted did not highlight in blue as I have seen in other posts. I did a regular copy and paste. Can someone explain how to make inserts with them being highlighted?

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Sorry but the top section that was inserted did not highlight in blue as I have seen in other posts. I did a regular copy and paste. Can someone explain how to make inserts with them being highlighted?

Click on “Quote” instead of “Quick Reply” or “Reply”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.