Advanced Search

next Wicked edge go stone, 800/1000 or 1500 diamond?

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started next Wicked edge go stone, 800/1000 or 1500 diamond?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anton
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

Should I get the 800/1000 grit stone stone or the 1500 grit diamond stone to follow the 200/600 on my wicked edge go? My initial though would be that its too big of a jump but someone elsewhere recommended I just get the 1500 grit next as it will remove the scratches from the 600 grit just fine, if it does that would be great since I want to keep my stone progression as simple as possible and then finish on strops.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Anton.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Anton, I hate to spend your money so easily.  I would recommend both pairs.  I do think you’ll find an easier time doing it and the best results with 200, 600, 1000 then 1500 grit progression.

For portability and simplicity, to keep your stone collection you carry in the WEGO case to a minimum, I would remove the 800 grit and the 1500 grit stones.   You can remove the diamond stones from the plastic handle by laying the stone side down on a heating plate of some sort.  The heat loosens the adhesive.   Then I would mount the 1500 grit opposite the 1000 grit on one handle for the perfect pair.  You can mount the diamond stones to the handles using 3M VHB double sided tape.   “tcmeyer” one of the Forum’s oldest and trusted contributing members has posted threads describing how he’s done this.  Maybe he’ll read this and chime in the details of how he does it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anton
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

That actually sounds like a perfect solution, are the plates glued to a flat surface on the plastic handles? Ive swapped edge pro stones pretty easily using super 77 spray, maybe this will work for these as well.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Yes the plates are heat glued to the flat part inside the raised outer frame. I’d make sure to remove all the old glue remnants to have a flat clean surface.  I have used 3M Super 77 Spray to glue leather strips to these WE handles to make new strops.  That works very well for that application.  I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t hold the diamond stones.  I’d tape up the plastic edges on the handles and the diamond stone edges to avoid the over spray.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ll chime in to say that when I added the 800/1000 handles, I was delighted with the results.  Likewise, I think everyone who has added the 1500/0.6 micron handles feel the same way.  I recommend against jumping from 600 to 1000, as you will increase the usage of the 1000 by a significant amount.  Five strokes with the 800 will save you ten strokes with the 1000.  The effort, time and wear and tear on the stones are reduced by keeping the 800 grit platens in the rotation.  The WE GO progression is already compromised by the dropping of the 400 grit platens.  I do like the plan of putting the 1000s and the 1500s on the same pair of handles.  In fact, that’s exactly what I’ve done to my working set:  I have rearranged my platens to 200/400, 600/800 and 1000/1500 grits.  For diamond film, I have 6 and 3 micron on one set and 1.5 and 1.0 on a second set of aluminum platens.  Actually, they’re brass, but exactly like the WE aluminum platens on which I have 0.3 and 0.1 micron DLF.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.