Advanced Search

newbie question: progression to strops

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8

I received my Pro Pack II this week, minus the ceramics which are still on back order. I have started by sharpening several knives to 1000 grit. I have gotten sharper edges than I have managed in the past, but nothing super impressive yet. I can just barely push cut phone book paper. Would the experts on this forum say that is about right for 1000 grit?

I broke out the 1.0 micron strops this morning for the first time. I went from 1000 grit diamond stones to 1.0 micron. I stropped for quite a while with very little noticeable improvement. Is that just too big a jump from 1000 grit diamond to 1.0 micron strops? Do I need the ceramics before I’ll be able to create a polished edge?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

That’s a very good achievement if you can push cut phone book paper after the 100 grit diamonds. Even if it barely, that’s good.

To create a polished edge (almost mirror) I’d recommend Wicked Edge pasted strops after the ceramic stones.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

The 1000s should push cut paper fine (once broken in – 7 to 10 knives) and stropping that edge is fine but I think you’ll enjoy having the ceramics in between. Did you get the micro? Those are my preferred of the two sets…

Ken

Jason
    Participant

I sharpened another knife now and used both the 1.0 and .5 micron strops on it. I stropped a total of about 30 minutes. I can visually (with a jewelers loupe) see a slight difference having stropped versus stopping at the 1000 grit diamonds, but I do not notice a difference in cutting edge (paper test).

I will be getting the ceramics that are standard with the Pro Pack II. I think those are the micro-fine ceramics (1.4 micron and .6 micron). I assume I should use both the 1.4 and .6 micron ceramics prior to the 1.0 and .5 micron strops?

Cutting paper and shaving arm hair is a fun test. The real test is in normal usage. I used a couple of knives I’ve sharpened in the last 12 hours to cut up strawberries and slice pork for lunch today. I can’t express how nice it is to finally have sharp knives again.

Ken Buzbee
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 393

I will be getting the ceramics that are standard with the Pro Pack II. I think those are the micro-fine ceramics (1.4 micron and .6 micron). I assume I should use both the 1.4 and .6 micron ceramics prior to the 1.0 and .5 micron strops?

Yep, that’s my most common progression. I really like the edges that come off the 1.4/.6. I don’t even strop after them.

Ken

Jason
    Participant

Good to know. Thanks. I can’t wait to get the ceramics. I haven’t gotten to my good knives yet. I don’t think I’ll wait. I can always go back and improve the edge later.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I haven’t gotten to my good knives yet. I don’t think I’ll wait. I can always go back and improve the edge later.

Sounds reasonable. :cheer: 😆

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Good to know. Thanks. I can’t wait to get the ceramics. I haven’t gotten to my good knives yet. I don’t think I’ll wait. I can always go back and improve the edge later.

Depending on what you have sharpened, there is something else to consider. I have had some knives that I sharpened for friends that were pretty lousy steel. It took a lot more work to get a sharp edge on them and ultimately several of them would simply never get as sharp as knives with better steel in the blade.

Get your stones broken in and your technique established, then sharpen a knife with good steel. You may be surprised…

Jason
    Participant

I think I observed this as well. I sharpened several Wusthof kitchen knives this week. I was able to get a much sharper edge on them, and the strops were able to make a significant improvement in the edge over the 1000 grit stones (without using ceramics).

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

As you sharpen more knives, you will find that each type of steel responds differently to different abrasives.
    Understanding that and knowing going in what you need to do for a given knife, is part of the adventure.

Phil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.