Advanced Search

Newbie From Texas!

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Newbie From Texas!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    dmsaez
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 9

Hello from San Antonio, TX.  Getting into knives (cooking) and just purchased my first two Chef’s knives and ProPack (new pellet grill has me hooked on cooking meat).  Planning to sharpen the “junk” we currently use for practice and to break in the ProPack before i even THINK of touching the two new Chef knives.  Looking to learn from all!

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome!

The WE does great things for kitchen knives old and new alike.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Organic.
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and W. E. Community “dmsaez”.  I too, have and sharpen predominantly kitchen/chef’s knives.  Also, I have a pellet grill and love to smoke meats.  Texas brisket at home, woo hoo!!

dmsaez which particular Pro Pack did you purchase.  It’ll help us to contour our helpful advice.

I suggest you read through the Forum as much as you can there’s a ton of good info to gleen.  There are also many good YouTube videos worthwhile watching.  Clay Allison, our WE Creator has produced many of these videos.

Welcome!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

dmsaez
    Participant

Thanks MarcH.  I’m actually a transplant to TX (originally from NYC).  After 20+ years in the Air Force, I decided to make TX my home.  I tend to favor the laws and mindset of the South!  Lov’in my RecTech RT700 Pellet Grill.  Regardless of manufacture, its great focusing on the rub and meat you’re cooking and not keeping the fire stoked at a certain temp (something I have no skill at).

That being said, I purchased the Pro Pack I (without case).  Starting to read/view quite a bit of what’s available and planning to start working on some old, cheap knives to gain experience and break in the stones.

Again, thanks for the welcome!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant

The WE knowledge base is a great resource as well and contains detailed answers to many of the commonly asked questions.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    dmsaez
    Participant

The more I read, the more I start to doubt and wonder if i got myself in over my head…LOL

Organic
    Participant

Don’t worry too much about all of the little details at first. Most of the things that get discussed on this forum are related to getting that extra 20% of sharpness that’s possible if you work consistently and with attention to detail. Your first few knives won’t be perfect even if you do everything correctly from the beginning because the diamond plates need some use before they preform their best. Pick a knife that you don’t care too much about for your first sharpening victim and practice on it until you’re confident. As you have undoubtedly seen, the members of this forum are happy to help you figure it out if you run into a problem.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

dmsaez, What’s your apprehension?  Share some of your concerns with us.  Maybe we can help you through it.  We have alot of practicle experience here.  No one will judge.  There is quite a learning curve, to using a Wicked Edge System.  I like to say using a WEPS it isn’t simple.  But it isn’t too hard either.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

dmsaez
    Participant

Thanks for the assistance and concern…the last statement was more of a “WOW” factor when reading about the science, skill, etc. that goes into sharpening materials.  So, I am taking everyone’s advice and have picked out a heck of a knife to cut my teeth on (pun intended).  A set of 4-knives were given to me by my roomate when my wife and I first got married (they were used and we were young Airman at the time – meaning “broke”).  These have been abused and the particular knife I will start with has nicks running along the edge as well as an area of the edge that is bent over a bit (see images).  I’m guessing I will begin by using a honing steel to straighten the edge before i begin to rebuild it (see images and try not to cringe).

Almost forgot to add, they are WashingtonForge Yorktowne (Japan).  From what I can find online, they are cheap 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by dmsaez.
    Attachments:
    Marc H

I would begin by removing the damaged steel to expose an edge of fresh steel.  This can be done using a coarse stone, hand held, used perpendicular to the knife by running it along the edge top and in line with the length of blade.  If the damage is severe, I have used a metal file in this method to spare the abuse on my W.E. sharpening stone.

When you remove the damaged steel the edge remaining may be quite thick, so it may require a lot of bevel work to create a new cutting knife edge.

From what I see in your photos, the knife edge doesnt appear all that bad and should sharpen up without too much steel removal.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

dmsaez
    Participant

I have noticed you and others mention an Angle Gauge is a must.  That being said, any recommendations on brand?  I have a <span id=”productTitle” class=”a-size-large”>Wixey WR300 Type 2 Digital Angle Gauge with Backlight all queued on Amazon LOL.  </span>

By the way, it seems for me, the search function on this Forum is not consistent.  On the same word search, it pulls back different results each time I search.  Hmmmm

Thanks,

Marc H

I used that exact Wixey model, for years.  I liked it’s easy repeatability and stability.  It’s a good device and easy to use.  There are more precise units.    They are also more expensive.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the precision and results you’ll see using the Wixey.  That being said, yes, an angle gauge I believe is an absolute necessity.  The angle indicators on the WEPS are just a guideline and not necessarily true.  They only reflect angles close to true for a minimum number of knife sizes, shapes and characteristics.  To achieve consistent “relative” angle guide rod settings, the digital angle device is the tool of choice.

The forum developer “ChrisB” is working to make the Forum search function more effective and efficient.  We discussed it earlier this week.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

dmsaez
    Participant

Thanks MArcH, this will get purchased tonight through Amazon 🙂

Marc H

The other necessary tools, IMO, are a lighted magnified device and a safety device.  I use a USB Microsope with a laptop computer, but a lighted hand-held micropscope, or lighted jeweler’s loupe will work just fine.  It all depends on what you’re able to spend.   I also use safety devices like these.  I like the safety shields.   After cutting off the very tippy tip of a finger, I no longer sharpen without them.  I was fortunate.  With our Wicked Edge sharpened knives, it could have been much worse.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

dmsaez
    Participant

Thanks for the recommendations…I like that they are “low-cost” as well. I already put a nice little slice on one of my fingers mincing fresh herbs with the newly acquired chef knife, so I will head out tomorrow and pick up some gloves in the local economy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.