Advanced Search

new user needs

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started new user needs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brian
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

As an upcoming new user, what can experienced users share regarding tips and tricks that would get me off on the right foot?  For example;  I have seen tape used to keep metal shavings out of the moving parts on folders.  I have also read that using the finger tips of hospital gloves over the rod bearing will help keep shavings out also.  Any other tips and tricks regarding sharpening, and care?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Brian, welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum.  Our Forum is broken into the “Main Forum” and the “WE GO Forum”.  When you go to the “Main Forum” it is organized by “categories”.  There are sections under each category that share pertinent common information.

Under the category: Sharpening and Accessory Maintenance, you’ll see “MODS”.  There are many threads here with helpful tips like those you included in your post.  There are lots of included photos in these threads.  Enjoy your reading.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome Brian!

I would like to comment that I have not found any of the precautions you mentioned to be necessary for the proper functioning of my sharpener. The ball joints on my rod arms are every bit as smooth today as they were on day one and I have used them without any covering over a period of two years. The same goes for my generation 3 clamp. I have also never seen Clay using any of these mods in the numerous videos that he has produced.  Taking preventative measures like covering the joints and clamp won’t cause any harm, but don’t be afraid to use the tool as intended.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The tape you see used on folders (or any knife, for that matter) are usually not intended to keep metal shavings out of the internal workings, but rather to protect the knife from accidental scratching during the sharpening process.  Once you have accidentally damaged a high-end or customer’s knife by bumping it with a coarse stone, you’ll tend to be overly cautious and taping is an easy precaution.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I have used the tape intending it for both of those purposes.  To protect the steel from accidental scratches and to keep the steel dust out of the inner workings; the hinge and locking mechanism.  Whether it’s helpful and effective for those purposes, or not,  I will continue to use it, because I feel better knowing it’s there.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Man, my reading comprehension is low today. Yes, protecting the pivot on a folding knife is a good idea while sharpening. I was thinking specifically about using tape to protect the inner workings of the generation 3 style clamp when I made my previous comment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.