Advanced Search

new updates to the ‘sharpness tester jig’ website.

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Thoughts/Theories/Science Related to Sharpening new updates to the ‘sharpness tester jig’ website.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

For those of you that might have interest in the ‘sharpness tester jig’ website, I have just posted updates to that site that include:

a new PDF Library of User Submitted Data:
    /howsharpisit.com/PDF_Database

Video Library updates:
    Beam_Balance_Basics_Part_1 (1:43)
    Beam_Balance_Basics_Part_2 (2;50)
    Cut_Test_Procedure_Basics (6:54)

and:
    Excel Templates updated as of 9/2/2012, Make Sure You Are Using The Latest UpDate for data crunching!

-Dan

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Hey Dan…

I will admit that this seems to be a rather large time commitment I’m not quite ready to get into.

But I appreciate the time and effort you’re putting into this, and am following it with interest!

BassLake Dan
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 110

.. a rather large time commitment..

well, not sure if you mean the time to build a jig (if you have standard hand tools then should be just an afternoon or two..) or the time to test a blade. I timed myself doing a ‘full map testing session’ and it took me about 20 minutes. There is a description in the directions on how to do a ‘fast test’ and you can easily cut that time in half. The results won’t be quite as accurate, but it will certainly ‘ball park’ you.

cbwx34
    Participant

Saw this on another forum, thought it might be of interest here…

I wanted to make a brief post for those of your that might have had some interest in the Sharp Tester Jig Project, but have wondered what every happened to it and to BassLakeDan.

Well due to extensive personal family business changes that have taken all my time and effort I had to put all hobbies (knives just one of them!) on the back burner for the last few months. However, as a great and positive spinoff of one of these changes here I have been able to allocate a loft above a newly rented industrial building that one of our family businesses is moving into. .This will be the new home of the Sharp Tester Jig Project.

By the middle of Feb I plan to startup again on this project and hope to continue its development.

Sorry to have been away from it so long, but “I’ll be back”. See you all then -Dan

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Thanks Curtis, I’d been wondering. I’m glad to hear he’s doing well. Can’t wait to build one of those testers.

-Clay

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Hey Dan…

I will admit that this seems to be a rather large time commitment I’m not quite ready to get into.

But I appreciate the time and effort you’re putting into this, and am following it with interest!

I know what you mean Curtis. I have read the entire sharpness tester web site and viewed all of the videos. I even did the initial research on finding all of the pieces.It really seems like a great tool. Putting everything together and building the tester seems a bit daunting. I have quite a few woodworking tools, but still..
    Also, honestly, at this point I don’t even have a place to set it up and store it.

I am interested still…maybe one day.

I am also glad the BassLakeDan is OK. I wondered where he had been. I check the site occasionally, but not lately.

Phil

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’ve followed the sharpness tester website, too. Indeed, I was also involved in the initial discussions. But lately I’d lost contact.

But it really seems a great tool that deserves more attention. When I have some time, I’ll definitely build one myself. Please go on with developing your sharpness tester, Dan! And keep us posted.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Sven Schläfke
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 10

Where can I find this website?

cbwx34
    Participant
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.