Advanced Search

New to ZDP-189

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 109

So I have a brand new ZDP-189 Delica on the way to me, and it’s my first time with this steel. For those of you that have experience using and sharpening it, have you found a highly polished edge or toothier edge to perform better? Also, how is the edge retention on angles 15 dps and below? I doubt that the Wicked Edge is going to allow me to get much thinner than 15 anyway, but I just wanted to hear others’ experiences with ZDP, using it and with the WEPS.

I’ve read where some folks are running this steel with a 10 dps secondary bevel and a 15 dps microbevel with good performance.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I have a Delica in ZDP-189, but I haven’t tried any angles lower than 20, so I can’t speak to their practicality. I sharpen to 1000 grit, then give a light polish with a few strokes of 6 and 3 micron diamond film. This gives me HHT-2 with a little tooth, which is remarkable for an EDC knife.

The edge retention is by far the best of any knife I’ve owned, but I’ve never spent more than $80 on a knife before. I was amazed that it doesn’t seem to get the dings and dents I see on all my other blades. When it’s due for sharpening, it seems to be almost uniformly dull, with very little of what I’d call damage. I did have a small chip once, but even that was small enough to be easy to remove. I got the knife in Jan 2014 and have probably sharpened it about six or seven times. Except for the chip, I usually start with 800 grit, so I’d guess they’re more of a touch-up than a sharpening.

It has never occurred to me to try a lower angle. I’ve always believed that very hard steels are more brittle and should therefor not be brought to a very acute angle. I’ll be interested to hear your experience with it.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Hi and welcome!
    I have a delica zdp189 and I am amazed with it retention abilities! I like TC never considered lower then 20°? I believe a edc should have some meat behind the edge, not know how hard I’m going to work it?
    I would like to hear your results though if you decide to try it?
    Have fun!!!
    Eamon

Lukas Pop
    Participant
    • Topics: 10

I’ve always believed that very hard steels are more brittle and should therefor not be brought to a very acute angle.

Harder steels can take and hold more acute angle in general. Chipping resistance is inversely correlated with hardness, but high-end steels like zdp189 should excel in both areas, good heat treatment provided. More on this http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml and http://www.crucible.com/pdfs/SelectorKnifePocketRotatedCrucibleLLC.pdf . But personally I don’t put acute angle on knife for heavy tasks, regardless of the steel.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Hey uofaengr!

Have you tried the low angles with your Delica yet? Has it worked out OK?

JS
    Participant
    • Topics: 7

Hey uofaengr!

Have you tried the low angles with your Delica yet? Has it worked out OK?

I finally got around to sharpening it about a week ago. I went with 15 dps to test out this steel. The factory angle was probably 17-18 dps if I had to guess. I’ll just say that I’ve sharpened a lot of knives and a lot of steels like you all have, and the ZDP totally kicked my ass. I frankly became almost miserable sharpening because it just didn’t look like I was making much progress.

I don’t go down to the 80 grits unless I absolutely have to. I started with the 100s and planned not to apex until at least the 400s or 600s. After a couple hours in, I regretted not starting with the 80s. My 100s and 200s just started feeling too smooth and like they weren’t doing anything. I eventually got up to the 1000s and got decently sharp but hardly laser sharp like I’m used to by now with well worn in stones up to the 1000s.

I sold my VG-10 version because I hated the blue scales and wanted a ZDP version, but I loved the keen edge that VG-10 takes with ease and is not terrible at holding that edge. I’ve since sold my ZDP Delica and bought another VG-10 in a more appealing color. Just for my personal taste and use, I prefer the ease of sharpening and touchups of “lesser” steels with maybe a little less edge retention compared to my experience with ZDP.

For one example, I know there is much clamoring over Spyderco’s sprint run super steels and that people are bored with S30V. I for one, love their S30V. Holds a great edge and not difficult to sharpen. I had cut up a ton of thick cardboard with my new Military and the blade would still slice phone book paper well. I touched it up on the WEPS starting with the 400s, probably could have started with the 600s, and within minutes I had a super sticky, phone book paper push cutting, edge off the 1000 grit stones ready for EDC. So in short, I won’t be breaking my neck to try ZDP again for awhile.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Sorry to hear you’ve given up on the ZDP. I suspect that you chipped the edge with the coarse stones. I would have suggested going back to 20 dps. Yes, it true that it’s time-consuming to make big changes, but the payoff is in edge retention. I love mine.

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

I sharpened my ZDP stretch to 17dps. No trouble what so ever. Maybe since the angle was already at 17dps on most of the blade(a little less at the tip and the heal but the belly was about already at 17. I cut the crap outta the christmas presents and hard plastic and just touched it up. It just took a lot more strokes than others. Send me that sucker and I will get it sharp for ya if you are gonna wuss out on it already..sheesh.. :whistle:

I think it is all about expectations.

From others experience I fully expected it to kick my ass. But when I took my time, looked at it under the scope–er loup– and progressed from 400 to make the burr, then a quick distress with the 1K then the grit progression. I thought for sure it was super razor sharp….until I tried the hht. I put it away..used it a little..then went back at it with only the 1k plate alone for 20 min..all alternating all at the 17.. and it just kept getting sharper and sharper…

It is some fun steel! I have not had any chipping yet but have yet to hit a staple or something hard like that..

Keep at it. you will be happy after..then the touch ups with the 1k just take about 20 min..but the edge seems to last real well. looses hair witting fairly fast but stays at slice cutting for a long dang time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.