Advanced Search

New project

Recent Forums Main Forum Getting Started New project

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Here is an old timer Schrade knife.  Been doing a lot of clean up here lately which is nice. I like to see a knife cleaned. This one is going to take some time and finesse. Looking forward to getting started

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That one has seen better days. I look forward to seeing the transformation.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ve done a couple just like that.  The rust is manageable with any of the rust removers.  I use Evapo-Rust, which is non-toxic and biodegradeable.  The only real problem could be deep rust pits along the edge.  I just had an old plane blade that has pits that reach all the way through the blade just behind the edge.  I’ve never seen that in a knife blade though – I think it’s probably the type of laminated steel.  The amount of steel that needs to be removed is unreal.

Danny
    Participant

It’s starting to look like a useable knife again.  Still have some work on it but didn’t have time last night. Got home a little late.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Danny
    Participant

Got it done.  Not all pits came out but I didn’t want to take to much. Gave a good sharpening only to 600 grit at 18°.  Looks a lot better. Got another two projects coming. Old case knives that I got at a sale.  Can’t wait to start on them.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.