Advanced Search

New microscope

Recent Forums Main Forum New microscope

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Alan Ryder
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 8

I tried posting the other day but not sure it worked so sorry if this is a repeat. Anyone familiar with this scope? https://www.elecrow.com/digital-portable-1-600x-3-6mp-microscope-continuous-magnifier-with-4-3inch-hd-oled-display.html Hoping to get a different microscope that doesn’t need to be plugged into a computer. I take the sharpener with me slot and can’t always take a laptop with me. Any input of a appreciated. Thanks.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I have no personal experience with that type of scope, but I’d be interested in your thoughts on it if you decide to get it. My suspicion is that it will be awkward to use because the screen is directly mounted on the scope itself. It doesn’t look like you can adjust the viewing angle of the screen independently from moving the scope.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Alan, depending on the smart phone, or tablet you may have and the USB microscope model you may purchase, using an inexpensive adapter plug called OTG for “on the go”, you may be able to use the scope with your phone or tablet and not need a laptop.  I did this before I had a laptop.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Alan Ryder
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 8

Ok thanks. I may have to look into that. I have one that I have plugged into my computer but haven’t really played with it much. I make do with a loop so far.

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

I tried posting the other day but not sure it worked so sorry if this is a repeat. Anyone familiar with this scope? https://www.elecrow.com/digital-portable-1-600x-3-6mp-microscope-continuous-magnifier-with-4-3inch-hd-oled-display.html Hoping to get a different microscope that doesn’t need to be plugged into a computer. I take the sharpener with me slot and can’t always take a laptop with me. Any input of a appreciated. Thanks.

The problem I see is that you’d either have to hold the entire unit over the knife while it’s in the WE vice or remove the knife and place in on a table under the microscope which would really be a mistake.  Every time you remove the knife from the WE, you lose the integrity of the alignment unless you have a jig or something that would guarantee correct alignment all the time.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Glenn Goodlett
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 13

I got a microscope with a built in screen and it’s not worth a dam for knife sharpening. Then I got a wireless one that connects to my iPhone or pad and it works well. Both were cheap.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Dennis Hibar
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 99

Don’t waste your money.  I had one (same scope, different brand name).  Image quality is very grainy (but sufficient for some things).  Build quality is sub-par.  Mine lasted for less than a year. Other disadvantages have already been mentioned.

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

I got a microscope with a built in screen and it’s not worth a dam for knife sharpening. Then I got a wireless one that connects to my iPhone or pad and it works well. Both were cheap.

Which model did you get?

Glenn Goodlett
    Participant
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I got this one. I think all the cheap wireless ones are about the same. <span>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XJBTNBM?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=KQ02KRGJ101MZK6DK55N</span&gt;

I’ll be interested to hear how the WiFi works.  Thanks for the post.

Glenn Goodlett
    Participant

I never tried my microscope on a laptop however the directions say a usb cord must be used. On WiFi it seems to stay connected to my iPad mini 5 just fine so you can leave it on while sharpening. The only issue seems to be that the battery will only last about two hours. It did run down while I was sharpening several knives in a row so I plugged the microscope into a battery power bank and all was well.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I looked  a little deeper and it appears as though WiFi only works with mobile devices, not PCs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.