Advanced Search

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    redwing
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

I have many custom knives and have used a spyderco knife sharpener for over 30 years with ok results. Watched many YouTube videos on the wicked edge sharpener and will be buying one soon. I thick a Pro Pack 2. Look forward to ask question when I get the knife sharpener.

Tom

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Joseph
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

You won’t regret the purchase brother

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Justin Fournier
    Participant
    • Replies: 54

Welcome to the forum. If you are mostly into folders, I would recommend going with the 130. It’s much better for distal tapers and full flat grinds. Keep in mind you will likely need the 1/4″ jaws if you do.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Welcome redwing,

I agree with Justin. You could buy the WE130 sharpener, add the 800\1000, 1500\blank glass, AAG. The base would be nice but many have made a base out of bamboo cutting boards. I think you would be much happier with the WE130 vise. You could call and see if you could get a pkg deal for a little price break, worth a try. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck sharpening!

redwing
    Participant

I have both folders and fixed blades. The newest folder is a CRK 21. Why the WE130 instead of Pro pack 2? This is just so new and I am trying to pick the right sharpener the 1st time to buy.

Thanks

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Justin Fournier
    Participant
    • Replies: 54

Trying to keep it short and simple…

The WE130 is a much better for folders and many fixed blades (particularly thicker ones) in my opinion. First of all it centers the blade, that’s important. Second, it’s much easier to mount a knife with a full flat grind, or a distal taper into it. That’s something many folders have. So setup is easier, more consistent, and you get a better result.

I bought the WE130 to replace my Pro-Pack 2, and there are many others who have done the same.

redwing
    Participant

Justin,

Thank you for your comments. I have just review their website  about the Pro2 and WE130. I will now get the WE130 and the 800/1000 blocks.

Pinkfloyd,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I am so glad I jointed this forum as you folks have educated me on which sharpener to choose 1st.

Thanks,

Tom

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2731

Welcome redwng,  in agreement with my WE Forum buddies above.  I too would suggest you start with the newest, latest, and best model vice and clamping system available.  That being the WE130 Vice.

The Pro PacK 2 is the best most accessorized setup with the older, original style screw type vice.  There are some inherent difficulties in the older technology.  The WE130 was later introduced as the new next step in technology to upgrade and overcome those shortcomings.  I am one of those users that started with the Pro Pack 2 because it was the best at that time.  I have upgraded my system an updated my technology as WE has offered these to the point that now my system is the WE130, just like Justin’s above post.  If your just starting out and you can afford the investment ask Wicked Edge if you can bundle a Pro Pack 2 with the newer WE130 Vice and clamping System.  It’ll cost you a little more but you’ll be better off in the long run.

Just to make sure your clear, all the stones, and strops and accessories are compatible with all models.  Good luck.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

redwing
    Participant

MarcH,

Thank you.  I will ask when I order my sharpener about the up grade to WE130 vise.

Tom

sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Welcome Tom,

I’m guessing Tom but I think a PP2 with a gen 3 vise upgrade will be $849. About $734 for the 130, 800/1000 stones, paper stone base, and angle gauge and you still need a strop at least. I think you would be very happy with either arsenal to start with. Enough to create very sharp edges.

I see that the PP2 is back ordered right now and I don’t know if they would be willing to sell you a PP3 without the case for right around $1000 and that kit comes with everything to sharpen most any knife you will run across. It’s the most complete and  versatile of the offerings in my opinion.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH

redwing, just one more point of elaboration, just in case your wondering what are the differences between the WE130 and the Gen 3 Pro,  The Gen 3 Pro has a single function central lever that adjust both the left and right side arm gross angles simultaneously.  They have independent micro-adjustments on each side.

The WE130 requires each arm angle be set independently.  This is both slightly more complicated and an advantage also.  By having independent angle adjustments, with the WE130, you can sharpen knives that are ground with uneven bevels.  This  feature allows the WE130 to sharpen the largest and broadest variety of knifes and grinds of all the different WEPS.  This the “Model of Choice” for the sharpener with a broad variety of knives and interests.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Paul
    Participant
    • Topics: 0

I just got the very basic vice and 100/200, 400/600 diamonds. I plan to make.my base from half inch aluminum plate. Not sure if the weight will be heavy enough or not but going to give it a whirl!!  I appreciate all of the “sharpening god’s” advise so freely given in this forum! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Welcome Paul,

Just a suggestion Paul, if you are using a lighter material for your base just increase the size of it a bit and I don’t think it will be a problem. Increasing the size will help with stability while adding a bit of weight as well.

Paul
    Participant
    • Topics: 0

Thanks. Figured I’d D&T then bolt two half inch plates together if one wasn’t heavy enough. I thought 12″ by 12″. Think that is too big? Thought I’d have machinist friend put radius on top edges so I don’t have to do a bunch of sanding, etc. Any ideas on feet? I plan to use drawer liner to keep it from sliding and easy to blow out debris with air compressor. Any other advice?

MarcH

Use thick stick on rubber bumpers for feet, (Home Depot / Lowes item).  They don’t slide.  Then you can eliminate having to keep the drawer liner around and don’t have something else to clean and maintain.  Also the thick bumpers will raise your base plate up making it easier to get your finger tips under the edges to pick it up when you want to carry it.  Also they’ll help deaden the sound. The WE base they sell is 12″ wide and 10″ deep.  By having it rectangle it makes it easier to orient it when you carry it so you don’t put it down facing the wrong direction.  If it’s square it’s easy to twist it around and not tell how it’s oriented. So you have to pay attention to what your doing.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.