Advanced Search

New knifemaker here…

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New knifemaker here…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Will
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 2

Hi, guys.  I’m Will, from Texas.  I’ve been making knives as a hobby for the last year or so, and just recently saw a demo of a WE set-up.  It looks like it would work great for my household knives, and hopefully putting a scary edge on the knives I’m making.

I’m planning to order a WE130, but still trying to decide which other stones and strops I might want.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and sharpening  community, Will.

For the basic WE130 setup I’d recommend adding the 800/1000 grit stones, to start and at least a leather strop pair.  I think the 4 micron/2 micton diamond emulsion is a good start.

After you get some basic experience, develop your sharpening technique, and get your stones broken in, there are other options to consider.

A digital angle cube is a necessary helpful accessory tool to consider purchasing right from the started, also.

The WE130 is my favorite all-around set-up.  Good choice!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Will
    Participant

If I understand correctly…

The leather strop kits, whether it’s the 5/3.5 or 4/2, comes with a set of blank leather strops and then the appropriate paste or emulsion?

Marc H

Yes. that is correct.  My preference is the feel of the diamond emulsion compounds.  The paste works similarly, they’re probably less expensive to use in the long run.  It’s just a personal preference.  I do have and use both.  Bottom line is, use one or the other to bring the best cutting potential  out of your sharpened edges.  The strops, when used correctly, seem to smooth out a sharpened edge and allow it to cut better.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Will
    Participant

So, you’d add the 800/1000 diamond stones for now?  What would be on the short list of finer stones you might add before stripping?

I’d love to be able to get some crazy sharp edges on the knives I’m making.  For now, they’re camp style knives from 1095, 52100, cpm154, s35vn, etc.  And some chef knives out of stainless, including some aeb-l.

Marc H

My next addition would be the 1500 Diamond Stone/Glass Blank combo with 6µ Diamond lapping Film, on the glass, to round out the  sharpening profile, before finishing with the leather strops.  5µ/ 3.5µ paste followed with 1µ/0.5µ paste is a good start.  I prefer the basic “cow” leather strops.  I think they’re more forgiving and less expensive.  They continue to work despite getting cut and damaged by inexperienced users.

With this combination, you can achieve super wicked sharp, mirror polished edges…after you learn how to use them!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.