Advanced Search

New from the UK

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New from the UK

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Codswallop
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hello

Bought a WE Gen 3 last month after spending way too much time doing online ‘research’. I was a chef decades ago so have a number of knives that were pretty good once and will (hopefully) be back to their former glory soon. I am definitely still at the learning stage – my previous experience of knife sharpening involved steels and the occasional stone, neither of which were particularly satisfactory.

Having lurked around this Forum for a bit, the collective wisdom seems to be that you need to get hold of 5-10 cheap knives for practice and to break in the stones. My first practice knife was a crappy 7″ chef’s knife which has proved challenging due to the curve of the blade and the flimsiness of the material. Do you have any suggestions for practice knives? Should I start with a small straight blade or does that become too fiddly for newbies?

Looking forward to learning from you.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

You don’t have to get 10 individual knives. You can sharpen a beater a few times in a row and you don’t have to worry about how much steel you’re removing. This can actually be informative as well since it will give you the chance to try a few different angles on the same blade and see how that affects the edge.

Thrift shops and craigslist are good places to find knives at a bargain.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

On the other side, different sized and different shaped or styled knives will help you to learn a variety of skills as you undertake different challenges presented while attempting to sharpen these different knives as you learn your technique.  It’ll certainly make you a more rounded and more experienced sharpener with a broader skill set.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Codswallop, We neglected to say welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and community!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I love some of the usernames we see here on the forum, and Codswallop is another doozy from the UK.  Kind of brings to mind an image of being hit in the face by a large fish at the Seattle fish market!  Or kind of like being gobsmacked with a fish.  Love it!

Oh, and welcome aboard, Codswallop!

Codswallop
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Something like this, perhaps?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That made my day! 🙂

-Clay

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

It made my week!  Thanks, Codswallop!  Did you remember this clip, or did you have to search for it?

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.