Advanced Search

New from Kentucky

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New from Kentucky

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kentucky Rob
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Hi folks!

I’m new around here. New to these forums, and new to the Wicked Edge. Oh, and I’m not an expert knife guy, not by a long shot.

I’ve been in search of an effective and relatively quick method of sharpening knives for a very long time. For most of my 44 years, I relied on the old stand by whet stone method learned from my father. I could get a knife to cut again, but it didn’t look pretty and was just barley serviceable.

Ive tried numerous types of those “pull-through” notch sharpeners, and even got a Work Sharp last year for Christmas, and I always ended up back working my old stand by stone.

Over the last year or so, I’ve started a small collection of upscale production pocket folders and a few fixed blades. Not sure why, other than I appreciated their craftsmanship…and I always have a need for a good knife. Trouble is, I’ve been scared to death to try and sharpen any of them, because I knew how they would turn out.

Finally took the plunge and bought a WE Pro Pack I a few weeks ago, and have since added a few more sets of finishing stones. Also waiting on some lapping film.

Needless to say, I’m beyond thrilled with the WE, despite having some initial issues with screws…which by the way, the Wicked Edge Team and even Mr. Allison himself really went the extra mile with service to make sure I had a properly working kit. The attached photo is my first true mirror edge! It’s truly hair popping sharp! I think my old whet stone will finally get retired.

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and Knife Sharpening Community, Rob!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

That’s a nice looking edge! Welcome Kentucky Rob.

Kentucky Rob
    Participant

Thanks, it’s much appreciated! I know it’s not absolutely perfect. However, I’m as proud of that edge as I’ve ever been about anything. Never would’ve thought it possible to create such a cutting plane. Without the WE, it just wouldn’t have been possible for me.

I’m guessing that as soon as my hunting buddies find out, I’m gonna be busy 😉

4 users thanked author for this post.
    William
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 38

Welcome Rob!     The WE is just plain fun to use.  Anyway, you’re going to like it around here.  Folks are friendly and knowledgeable.

William

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Dittos… Very nice bevels for a set of non-broken-in stones.  Welcome aboard!

One of the great benefits of the WEPS is being able to do something none of you friends can do.  Maybe nobody within 50 miles of you. It’s awesome!  You’ll give your friends and relatives knives that are sharper than anything they’ve ever used before.   You’ll find that some will need a little safety lecture.   Stock up on small Bandaids.  Or as they’re referred to in Australia, “plasters.”  LOL!

4 users thanked author for this post.
    David
    Participant
    • Replies: 37

Welcome Rob where at in Kentucky.

Kentucky Rob
    Participant

Welcome Rob where at in Kentucky.

Thanks! I’m in Northern KY, not far from Florence.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.