Advanced Search

New 2017 WE130 in Lancaster, Ohio

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New 2017 WE130 in Lancaster, Ohio

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Shannon
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3

Finally picked up my first Wicked Edge, a 2017 WE130 + aluminum base.  I have the diamonds from 100/200 up thru 800/1000, Ceramics in 1200/1600 and 1.4/0.6 micron, and regular leather strops and 1.0/0.5 paste.  Also have the low angle adapter and 1560 Pelican case.

So far I have dabbled with a cheap 7″ fixed blade hunting knife, a Kitchenaid santoku, and a beat on old Benchmade 710 D2 (which I had been holding back to send in for a re-blade).  All came out sharp, the 710 actually really sharp, push cutting phonebook paper both with and across the grain.  That impressed me considering how thick that worn blade is behind the bevel.

I was wondering if there is any posted information about “sweet spot” settings for commonly encountered knives?  I thought that might be helpful to get close for starting points from which to fine tune.

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

I believe this may help: Knowledge Base Article and try this Video  or Go to You Tube and search “wicked edge finding the sweet spot”.  Sounds like you got a Pro Pack…enjoy it!

Welcome to the Forum and WE Shannon

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome to the forum, Shannon! Great your first edges come out so well already. The knowledge base article Marc links to is indeed useful. If you want to check out the entire knowledge base, you can click on the link at the top right corner of this page.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Shannon
    Participant

One little trick I’ve come up with (likely other’s have as well – doubt I’ll think of anything that hasn’t already been thought of) is to use a sandwich bag as a dust shield for folders.  By carefully piercing the bottom corner with the blade, then wrapping the rest from the pivot back, forms a nice protective environment for the handle/pivot.  I actually use a shrink wrap setup I have at work to form the “baggie”, then very lightly shrink the film with a heat gun so it isn’t bulky (not nearly enough to heat the knife).  I’d imagine a hair dryer and sandwich bag would do the same thing.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Shannon, welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum.  You’re the first to suggest this method, (in my experience on this forum.)  Thanks for contributing.  It’s always great to get a new perspective!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yeah, I’ve never heard of this method either. I have heard of people using magnets to attract the steel dust that comes off knives. Thanks, Shannon!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Shannon:  Welcome aboard and many thanks for contributing ideas like this.  It’s amazing how such a specific topic can continue to draw so many variations in methods and equipment mods from the participants.

This is a special forum, I think, in that all of the participants stay on agenda and keep the dialogue positive; never argumentative.  Everyone seems to want to contribute something.  I’ve always had a passion for teaching and this forum helps to satisfy my needs – a good reason why I’ve stayed around for more than six years.  Continued queries and input from others provides the seeds to keep the machine churning out ideas and answers.

I’d like to point out that this forum is what it is because of our host.  Clay Allison is a businessman with a very progressive attitude.  He lets us go down roads that would seem to be contrary to his best business interests, believing that keeping the dialogue open will eventually pay off in tangible and non-tangible ways.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Shannon
    Participant

Thanks guys.

Shannon
    Participant

Thought I’d show a picture of my “wrap” job on a 3″ XM18 Wharnie I sharpened yesterday.

Factory bevels were not symmetrical, one being about 23.3 degrees and the other at about 26.5 degrees.  My 3.5″ spanto was about 50 degrees inclusive too, but closer to symmetrical.  I set both sides on the 3″ Wharnie to 23 degrees, as I didn’t want to spend a lot of time reprofiling.  It turned out pretty good.  I’ll use it a while before I drop it down to 20 per side, which I eventually want to do to the 3.5″ spanto.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.