Advanced Search

needing new stones!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 33

so i finally got my wicked edge and im absolutely loving it and i want to get more stones. i only got the basic machine so im wanting to make sure im getting the right stones. ive got the 800/1000 stones, fine and micro fine ceramic stones in my cart, but past that im not too clear on how the progression should go with the strops. the ceramic is 1.4/.6 micron so, why the need for 15/10 strops?

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

As you can find in many topics on here, the reason for the progression a lot of people including myself use is because of the substrate surface hardness. Even though the ceramic might be rated as a .6 micron, the same micron rated grit on a leather substrate (backing) will act much finer. The 1200/1600 ceramics are technically the same grit rating as the 14/10um leather strops, but many still use the 14/10 leather strops AFTER the 1200/1600 ceramics because of the pliability in the leather giving it a more refined finish. The hardness of the backing directly impacts the resulting finish. Likewise, if we were to put 14 micron paste on a cotton ball and run it over the blade, it would barely scratch it. It all has to do with the substrate surface. I would get the 800/1000, 1200/1600, 14/10um leather strops, 5/3.5 leather strops, and maybe the 1/.5 leather strops if you want to go nuts with the finish. Hope this helps!

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

mike
    Participant

Ok great thanks for the confirmation on that. Now I’m not sure whether or not to get upgrades or more stones. I’m really anxious to see what kind of finish I can achieve but I’ve also got a lot of flat ground knives to sharpen

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

do you have the new ball joint arms? the Pro 2 upgrade?

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

mike
    Participant

I just got the basic machine with the intention of not getting anything I don’t need

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.