Advanced Search

Need new stoping compound alternatives?

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Need new stoping compound alternatives?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Mark:

Actually, as metal go, brass is relatively soft. I’ll be watching to see how long the grit lasts.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Anyone ever tried Pikal?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I hadn’t heard of Pikal until now. Can you tell us about it? Is it like Simichrome?

BTW, diamond particles will embed themselves in the surface of softer substrates like brass. Glass is intended only for film abrasives. I never considered it to be a embedable substrate. Wouldn’t have expected success.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Rockstead recommends to strop their knives with. Main ingredient is aluminum oxide. Rockstead heat treats their steel to a high RC scale level and it is used for their blade’s maintenance. They don’t strop hours on end, just two or three strokes per side for their 65 to 67 RC hardness blades.

Pikal is a product of Japan.

Eric
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 14

Guys do I have to add alcohol to the strops every time I strop if I don’t apply paste

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Guys do I have to add alcohol to the strops every time I strop if I don’t apply paste

You don’t have to but it does help sometimes if your strips feel dry or they feel too sticky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 14

To be clear after they sit for a month dry alcohol or use dry?

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

To be clear after they sit for a month dry alcohol or use dry?

I’m a bit confused by your question. But, if I understand correctly, you’re asking whether you HAVE TO USE ALCOHOL if they’ve been sitting around a while and are dried out, or can you just pick up the strops and get to work with them as the are?

The alcohol is essentially an agitator. The chemical make-up of the alcohol itself disturbs the viscosity of the substrate the diamonds are suspended in, making it easier to spread out new compound or revitalize compound already applied. The substrate being the actual colored stuff in the syringe (green, grey, yellow, etc.) You don’t have to use alcohol but it definitely helps to do so… Just spritz some on without putting much thought into it. How it works isn’t really all that important. What’s important is that it does work.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

American2-,

I’d be more than happy to shoot a quick crash course video and post it here on the thread. If you think that’ll help clarify a few things?

Sounds good to me man.[/quote]

Ok cool! I’ll try getting around to it this evening after work.[/quote]

Loving the vid man[/quote]

In case you haven’t seen it already, I made a quick video on applying compound to strops and started this thread… Just fyi 🙂

https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forum/getting-started/13533-loading-wicked-edge-strops-crash-course

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.