Advanced Search

Need new stoping compound alternatives?

Recent Forums Main Forum Stropping Need new stoping compound alternatives?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

American2-,

I’d be more than happy to shoot a quick crash course video and post it here on the thread. If you think that’ll help clarify a few things?

Eric
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 14

American2-,

I’d be more than happy to shoot a quick crash course video and post it here on the thread. If you think that’ll help clarify a few things?

Sounds good to me man.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

American2-,

Sounds good to me man.[/quote]

Ok cool! I’ll try getting around to it this evening after work.

Eric
    Participant

Cool

Eric
    Participant

American2-,

Ok cool! I’ll try getting around to it this evening after work.[/quote]

Loving the vid man

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

American2-,

Loving the vid man[/quote]

I apologize for slipping. Jerk move on my part. I’ll admit that…

SouthBySouthWest, the largest, music, film and I interactive festival on the planetx ends its 11 day steak tomorrow here in Austin, TX… Being a local resident definitely takes it’s toll this time of year, especially when you work in such an iconic part of the city.

Regardless, I told you I would and I haven’t. But I have not forgotten about you.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

American2-,

SouthBySouthWest, the largest, music, film and I interactive festival on the planet, ends its 11 day streak tomorrow here in Austin, TX… Being a local resident definitely takes it’s toll this time of year, especially when you work in such an iconic part of the city.

I’ll also admit that I’ve spent time responding to, as well as creating, other threads since I told you I’d make a video. They were more or less done on the fly. Regardless, I told you I would make a video on applying compound to your strops and I haven’t. But I have not forgotten about you.

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Yeah Jerk! Make the video already!

I just loaded up some new strops tonight. I still feel a little awkward getting them going for the first few times.. I know it is spread evenly..
    I hit the whole leather with rubbing alchol out of a spray bottle..dab some on and rub it in with my finger..then spray it again and make sure it seems even and let it dry.. Then when I use it some of it flakes off and rubbs around wierd..then at some point it seems to start to set in and I start to get the black showing..and get the gription..then I just leave them alone..

Eric
    Participant

American2-,

SouthBySouthWest, the largest, music, film and I interactive festival on the planet, ends its 11 day streak tomorrow here in Austin, TX… Being a local resident definitely takes it’s toll this time of year, especially when you work in such an iconic part of the city.

I’ll also admit that I’ve spent time responding to, as well as creating, other threads since I told you I’d make a video. They were more or less done on the fly. Regardless, I told you I would make a video on applying compound to your strops and I haven’t. But I have not forgotten about you.[/quote]

Haha just messing

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Clay, weren’t you playing around w/ some higher grit CBN compound on strops? what are your thoughts so far and do you know where we can get some? I’m spending too long on the 14 um strops after the 10k choseras (~200 passes) and i want to reduce that time.

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Clay, weren’t you playing around w/ some higher grit CBN compound on strops? what are your thoughts so far and do you know where we can get some? I’m spending too long on the 14 um strops after the 10k choseras (~200 passes) and i want to reduce that time.

You can get them from Ken Schwartz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yup, I use Ken’s stuff too. He’s got pretty coarse compounds.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

This thread has got my curiosity juices flowin’. I had read somewhere or seen in a video where someone was using the pastes to load up steel platens for use as a polishing media. Meanwhile, I’ve been unhappy with my fleet of glass blocks, having convinced myself that they were guilty of producing an occasional obscene scratch. I think that’s fixed, now that I’ve filed all the edges off with my diamond EZE-Lap 400/1200 plate. But my brain is still curious about the use of harder platens. I’ve seen where woodworkers use hardwood loaded with diamond grit to polish planes and chisels. And besides, my glass blocks were really too wide, at 1.00″. They don’t work as well on concave stretches of blade.

So I bought some brass. I made a couple of new blocks out of ABS, machined them in my planer to the desired thickness, then drilled them out and installed bronze bushings. Then I Rhino-glued some strips of 1/8″ X 3/4″ brass into place as platens. Lapped them smooth on a piece of 600 grit sandpaper. Tonight I loaded the platens with about 1/8″ of 3.5 and 5 micron paste, rubbing it in with my thumbs.

Seems to work really different from soft strops, but it’s too early to tell. I’ll play with it awhile, then report back.

If it doesn’t work out, the brass blocks will replace my glass blocks for PSA film duty.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I’m curious as to how the brass strops work out. Don’t they immediately wipe off all stropping compound, because the brass is so hard? (Which is what happens to me with glass strops.)

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I’ve been playing around w/ 3 different grades of balsa lately… hard, medium, and soft. and I really like them! Hard seems to work really well for the higher grits because you may tend to use more pressure as you go quickly, but I like the medium to soft ones for the finishing touches. The nice thing about them, in my experience, is that they match the existing angles without any lowering necessary. Also, I have found lately that leather strops leave buff marks 1/16-1/8″ above where the shoulder of the edge is! i find this to be unacceptable.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.