Advanced Search

Need help using the wicked edge

Recent Forums Main Forum Need help using the wicked edge

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sam
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 3

Need help using the wicked edge. Just received my wicked edge and would like to profile my knives at 15degrees but I don’t to ruin a $200-dollar knife. I know I can do this with the wicked edge but do you recommend it?

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by sam.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum Sam.  Please share with us a little more info. Which model WEPS are you using. What array of stones do you have and will you be using?  What kind of knife, knives, are you wanting to sharpen at 15º per side?

Before you attempt to sharpen this knife, or these knives, I recommend you learn how to use your WE on practice knives that have little value to you.  There is a learning curve to using the WE system and experience you need to gain before attempting to sharpen any knives that you value.  Also the stones require a break-in period before they give their optimum results.  The average time, in my experience, most new users require before they start to see the results they’re looking for can be 10 or 15 knives.

I invite you to do a lot of reading on this forum of beginners past experiences.  There are many You Tube videos you can watch on using the Wicked Edge sharpeners that will help you understand what you’re doing.

Welcome Sam!!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Hi Sam, welcome to the Wicked Edge forum! 15 degrees per side is a fine angle for many knives, but I would strongly suggest that you practice your sharpening skills on some inexpensive knives that you don’t care too much about before working on your good knives. If you don’t have any cheap blades laying around, your local second hand store is a good place look. Also, make sure to check out the Wicked Edge knowledge base and use the search feature on the forum to find the answers to many FAQ’s.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    sam
    Participant

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum Sam. Please share with us a little more info. Which model WEPS are you using. What array of stones do you have and will you be using? What kind of knife, knives, are you wanting to sharpen at 15º per side?

Chris Reeve Large Sebenza 21 and others. I have seven in my collection

sam
    Participant

Which model WEPS are you using.[/quote

Pro-Pack I $475 dollars
    <h1 class=”page-title”></h1>

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum Sam. Please share with us a little more info. Which model WEPS are you using. What array of stones do you have and will you be using? What kind of knife, knives, are you wanting to sharpen at 15º per side?

Chris Reeve Large Sebenza 21 and others. I have seven in my collection

Those Chris Reeve knives are really nice blades. Like I said before, don’t start on something that expensive. Pull an old beater chef knife out of the drawer in the kitchen and get comfortable with the system before tackling a pricey knife. Seriously, you’ll be glad that you waited. Another forum member just did his large Sabenza 21 at 18 degrees per side and it turned out looking very nice. Check it out in this thread.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.