Advanced Search

Best stone to start with after a KME edge?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Best stone to start with after a KME edge?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Im getting close (stones are starting to break in) to putting a mirror edge on a CRK Senbenza 21.  This knife arrived last thurs and had a KME edge put on it. Through the loupe its pretty poor looking scratch wise and not a flat bevel.

In a past thread Organic had commented I need to reprofile “every” knife I initially do on the wicked edge system.  Being that this edge is already a KME edge (and shabby looking under the loupe) should I still start with the 100’s and totally reprofile the edge thats on there or would I go with say the 400’s first?

Thx

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

What I meant by that statement was that every knife will require some adjustment the first time you sharpen it on your WE. The arc of the KME is almost certainly a tighter radius than that of the WE. Unless the blade is totally straight and has no belly then you will end up doing some re-profiling on the knife the first time you sharpen it on the WE. It may not be a visually perceivable change. If the blade is totally straight, then you should be able to match the bevels perfectly and no re-profiling will take place unless you change the angles intentionally.

As far as your incoming Sabenza 21 goes (awesome knife!), I would probably start at the 400 grit unless you don’t like the angle that it is sharpened at.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Thanks Organic for that explanation.  I have the Sebenza in hand and was viewing its edge by the loupe.  I have about a doz folders so far and dont want to remove their factory edge as it seems the only way to handle certain brands and models is to buy one and keep its factory edge on in case one wants to resell it because its just not the right knife for their tastes.

Benchmade, Chris Reeve, Spyderco etc will put a factory edge back on for free if need be.  But then you can’t represent a knife for sale as “never been sharpened”.  I can understand this as if I sharpen each one and then decided to sell one I woud have to send it back to the factory for their probably 15 seconds of grinding against a grinding belt for that factory edge which I’m not a fan of and hence the reason I invested in a WE system.

Worse yet, Chris Reeve as example has a turn around time of 4-8 weeks (yikes).  But now you have already sharpened that edge sharpened “twice”. So I can understand why some of the CRK fanboy type purists won’t by a used knife that was already sharpened. And you can’t tell how many times the previous owner sharpened it and how much of the original metal is now gone!

IMO a blade with a beautiful WE edge on it should be selling at a premium over a quasi sharp and boring factory edge!

So I bought this 2 year old pristine condition large Sebenza (3.65 in blade) just because it “already had a KME edge on it ” and it will be my first super premium steel blade, so I can’t wait to put a WE mirrored edge on it similar to like what Josh does (but extremely short of his experience and craftsman level of course).  It was some of his mirrored edge pics that moved me towards starting a folder collection and moved me towards getting and learning the WE system.

A guy in my office who I helped upgrade his system tried to put a WE edge on his Spyderco Para Millatary 2 and said the metal was so hard (CPM-S110V) on the hardness steel composition scale chart it ranks 60-62. So he said he screwed it up and sent it back to Spyderco and they put another factory edge on it. I was standing in his office the day it came back and was admiring its Burple color (bluish and purplish scales so Spyderco calls it burple) he asked me if I wanted to buy it as he wanted a different model. I said yes (because this is an iconic model) and we settled on $120.  He paid $165 from one of the online discount knife stores.  From Spyderco they have it with an MSRP of $254.  Tip for newbies to folder collecting: the authorized discounters like knifecenter and bladeHQ are great places to pick knives up, free shipping and they have 60 day return policies for another model, store credit or even the full amount credited back to your card.

So thats where I am which is currently waiting to pull the trigger to putting a mirrored edge on this “new to me” Sebenza.  CK’s steel is premium S-35VN at 59-61 which is as hard as the Spyderco’s premium 110 steel, so I’m trying to get more sharpening time under my belt and more time wearing down the stones before I attempt super hard steels.

I don’t even know if the 400 grit will do what I want at this hardness level to start the WE process.  Thats why I asked the question here first before I move to my next level of sharpening and redo this first blade with the KME edge on it.  I figure many here have already experienced premium steel sharpening.  I know I have not yet!

Super Premium steels on production and custom knives might only be just selling hype.  I have no idea yet!

Organic
    Participant

Diamond is harder than any steel, so as long as you use light pressure and let the abrasives do the work I don’t think the S-35VN will be a problem.

If you’ve checked out Marc’s thread on super steels you will see that some of the modern ultra high hardness blade steels can behave strangely when sharpening. People have reported that they will get half way through their progression and then the apex just starts to crumble inexplicably. This seems to vary depending on the heat treatment. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone complaining about S-35VN in the same way.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

That’s all good to know. I’ll have to ask my office buddy what he experienced when he had issues tying to sharpen his Para 2 steel. That does sound about right though because he has a pretty good experience with the WE sharpening system.

Just checked the Chris Reeve sight for the OEM angle.  They recommend 18-20 degrees.  Ill have to mount the knife and access what the KME edge was done to see how much reprofiling will be needed.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Expidia.
    Expidia
    Participant

Organic you were right on the 400 stone to start with.  Worked like a charm on premium steel yet.

Before (sorry blurry) and after:

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant

That looks like it turned out pretty nicely!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Thanks.  Thats dust or lint near the tip.  I did it at 18 degrees as CRK says 18-20.  I didnt spend too much time because I want to see if it starts to micro chip  as I’ve read premium steel can chip if angle is too acute.  If it does, I’ll redo it at 20 degrees, I’ll take more time and also add a micro bevel, so it will slice and also cut better from what I’ve learned here and watching Clay’s vids on youtube.

Organic
    Participant

I think 18 degrees should be no problem for that knife. I know for a fact that many people put 15 degrees per side with a 17 degree micro-bevel on Sabenza 21 knives with good results.

It didn’t look too good before. The person who put the KME edge on there must have been pretty sloppy. What was the progression that you used?

I’m not sure what you mean when you say that it will slice and also cut better with a micro-bevel. Can you elaborate?

Expidia
    Participant

I’ve been ending with two swipes of a 600 grit stone giving the edge a toothy bite, yet it does not show readily on the mirror edge which is razor sharp for slicing.  The two 600 grit swipes give it better cutting ability yet still with a showy edge overall.  Here is Clay’s vid from a few years ago.  He used a 200 grit back then.  Don’t know if he’s using the same grit still.  200 was a little coarse for me.

Progression was 400>600>800>1000>1500>6mu dlp>3mu>1mu>roo strops with .5 and .25 diamond spray.  Took me maybe 45 minutes.  I find scrubbing up to raise the burr then followed by the next grit mostly scrubbing sideways quickly erases the scratch marks.  And I vary the height of the stone, so as not to wear the stone in one area.  I do the standard WE stone motion but I find I can use the same pressure easier across the length of the blade with the horizontal strokes. As soon as I do too much of the standard stroke I see added scratches through the loupe where I vary the pressure through not enough practice.   All my learned techniques were from what I learned here from great forum  contributors such as yourself and I thank you again for that.  Saved me many hours on the learning curve.

Check out my 3rd CRK that I purchased an hour ago attached.  I was looking for the 21 with te blue or gold hex pattern but when I saw this beechwood inlays I was smitten!  This is the next patient to go onto the WE operating table whe it arrives in a few days.  Doing my folder collection myself was the reason I got into the system.  To send a knife back to Chris Reeve (CRK) it takes a 4-8 week turnaround for an edge and what they call their spa treatment.  Benchmades have a rediculous turnaround time too.  And who wants a “factory edge” anyway.

Attachments:
    Expidia
    Participant

On the blade above on top of the jack of clubs, even though its looks like a clear mirror edge, if I roll it to a certain angle under the light Im seeing light vertical scratches on most of the blade on both sides.  They are not from the deeper scratches that the 400 stone I started with inherently leaves behind because I then used a horizontal scrubbing motion on the next grit and cleared those away before moving on.

This pic was taken with only 2x power from my phone’s camera.  I do use a loupe durng each stage of my sharpening process and don’t move on to the next grit until all the scratches are pretty much gone through a 10x loupe.

And this also happened on the last knife I did for a friend.   When Im finished, take the knife out to clean it, roll the edge under a light and there they are.

My question is when I use a grit progression and get a very clean bevel before moving on which grits have the power to leave behind all these light scratches. It seems to me once I get past the 1500 stone, which abrasive has the power to leave these very light scratches?  I know the each abrasive  progress finer and finer, but these look pretty deep for a DLF to leave behind.  I feel like after the 1500,  i’m mostly just polishing as I move on.  My progression is 6mu, 3 mu, 1mu followed by emulsions on the 5 and 3.5 strop then ending with Roo strops with .5 and .25 diamond sprays on them.

Im dropping down 1.5 to 2 degrees when stropping.  Do you think Im putting these light scratches back on with the stropping ( strop ever so lightly maybe 10 times a side.

To clean these up should I now go back to the 1500 and start the progression from there.  I’m of course not seeking the perfect scratch free bevel, but this is disappointing considering the time I put into these edges.  I don’t want to keep taking more and more metal off my expensive blades and would rather get it right on the first progression through.

Thx

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant

What you’ve observed has been previously documented by MarcH. See his thread from last year.

Expidia
    Participant

Thanks Organic, I’ve read that thread twice before as I was learning technigue and now one more time.  I am using the Nanolap DLF’s.  I’m not even trying to achieve edges as clear as Marc finally got them.  I’m more just trying to rule out if the Nanolap DLF’s are too aggressive for me.  Maybe I should try ceramics and skip the DLF’s?

I did do what Clay had mentioned which was moving the DLF’s horizontally, but I know that only serves to desharpen the fine edge that the diamond stones have established for me and because the edge is so sharp at that point horizontal strokes tend to catch the DLF films and cut them.

I’m figiuring its almost no point to going back to the 1500 to start over if its the films that are imparting scratches all over again.  The reason I posted this question is to isolate which is giving me my issues .1 my technique. .2 the DLF’s  .3 the strops . . . though the naked eye the scratches are extremely fine. But through a loupe they look so much deeper looking and I kinda doubted DLF’s could impart scratches this deep.  But I’m still too new at this.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Expidia, it may be time for you to buy and utilize a better lighted optical magnifying device.  Possibly that would help you to see just when and where the scratches are being left.

It’s also very easy to leave or impart light scratches with any thing you do working down at that fine a polish.  Just cleaning or wiping the bevel may leave scratches.  Contact by your finger tips, gloved fingers or your magnifying aid can leave scratches.  The very fine DLF can be cross contaminated.  Dust laying on the glass platens can be trapped under the applied DLF making scratches with the high spot.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant

I don’t go after truly mirrored edges very often. While I like the look, I figure that it will no longer be scratch free after I use it for a few days, so why bother? That said, the best looking mirrored edge I have ever obtained was with this progression: diamonds from 400 up to 1500, then 1.4 / 0.6 micron ceramics, 14 / 10 diamond paste on cow leather, 4 / 2 diamond emulsion on cow leather, and 1 / 0.5 on cow leather. I can’t see any scratches on the bevel and it was at the HHT3 level of sharpness. Edit: This took about two hours to do. I estimate that I did around 100 strokes per side on each grit with the stones and then about 50 for each side for every grit of strop.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Organic. Reason: Add more detail
    4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.