Advanced Search

Need Help Creating a Pointy Tip

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Hill
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 1

I just got my WE a couple of weeks ago and have gone through about 7 knives so far setting their angles and sharpening them from start to finish. One problem I have come across is I have the tendency to create the cutting edge all the way to the tip where it removes a pointy tip. It wasn’t a problem on the japanese style chef knife I have as it’s a slicer, but it’s taking away from the thrust capability of my EDC knives. I’m about to work on my PM2 and don’t want to ruin the fine point on that blade.

Any tips to restore the “pointy-ness” tip and to prevent dulling it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

This is my Sage 1, it’s a great slicer now, just not much of a tip for delicate work.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi Tyler,

I think the solution to your problem lies in adjusting your grip on the stones. It is tempting to let your hand rotate inwards as you approach the tip but it will result in rounding the tip. The trick is to imagine the stone continuing on the same plane through space after it comes off the tip of the blade. Applying a little extra pressure with your thumbs to correct the rotation tends to help. I hope this is useful.

–Clay

-Clay

Tyler Hill
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 1

Thanks Clay, I’ll give that a shot and keep it on the same plane. I do have the tendency to allow the stone to continue past the stone from right to left and vice versa.

Just so I’m clear, when I reach the tip, the stone should continue out in a straight line with slightly more pressure coming from the thumbs to make sure the stone does not cross over the tip to the opposite side of the knife I made my pass on?

Thanks for such a great product, btw!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Just so I’m clear, when I reach the tip, the stone should continue out in a straight line with slightly more pressure coming from the thumbs to make sure the stone does not cross over the tip to the opposite side of the knife I made my pass on?

Exactly!

Thanks for such a great product, btw!

You’re welcome. I’m glad you’re enjoying it. 🙂

-Clay

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.